Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Non-Massachusetts Portion of Deductions, what should I enter here? I live in florida and remote work for a company in MA

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Non-Massachusetts Portion of Deductions, what should I enter here? I live in florida and remote work for a company in MA

If you were not physically present in MA during that one month, you should get a refund of any tax withheld by MA.

If you were present in MA for work, it's easier to figure the MA portion of deductions first, then subtract it from the total deductions to get the non-MA portion.

To calculate the MA portion: Divide your MA-source income (subject to taxation by MA) by the total of all income that would be taxable by MA if you were a full-year resident. Multiply the resulting fraction by your total deductions.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Are you filing a MA non-resident tax return? And is this to get a refund of tax withheld in error? (If not, why are you filing in MA?)

If you never were physically present in MA while working, you have zero MA-source income and 100% of your deductions are Non-Massachusetts.

I had a month pay check in MA and the rest of the months in FL. So I have to file MA state tax return because of that one month. Thanks

If you were not physically present in MA during that one month, you should get a refund of any tax withheld by MA.

If you were present in MA for work, it's easier to figure the MA portion of deductions first, then subtract it from the total deductions to get the non-MA portion.

To calculate the MA portion: Divide your MA-source income (subject to taxation by MA) by the total of all income that would be taxable by MA if you were a full-year resident. Multiply the resulting fraction by your total deductions.

chula2

I work 100% from my Florida Home for a company in massachusetts.  My W2 does not have any state taxes taken out.  Do I still need to file a non-resident tax?

You do not. As you are never physically present in MA while working (and I assume, never have been), this is not considered MA-source income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies