Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why is there a charge to e-file state?

Why can't someone at TT answer the **bleep** question? Everyone on here knows that the downloaded version of TT charges a fee to e-file the state return, but the question is WHY!!! It makes absolutely no sense that to e-file a state return should cost anything. It is better for all involved except I guess TT since they are the ones collecting the fee even after we have paid for the software. Way to be environmentally friendly there TT [sigh]. You force me to print off about a 25+ page state return and snail mail it because of your greed. Why don't you just make the software cost $10-20 more and offer free state e-file? That way everyone would be happier IMO. STOP encouraging the killing of our trees!!! I guess we need to encourage our state congress to enforce free state e-filing like New York.

I absolutely agree with OP. TT is greedy and that's the only answer I see here. Furthermore, if you click the option to pay by deducting from your refund, you'll be facing a $40 extra charge! This fact is well concealed until you're almost done. I cursed out loud, backed up until I could change my mind about e-filing my state return. I have now printed the stupid thing so I can mail it. I'll be looking for different software next year. I'm sick of Intuit gouging me! Isn't the $60 I paid for the software enough?

I feel your pain my brother!!! My problem is I have used TT for about 20 years now and for the most part I really do like the software and have received decent support for other issues. Although I do have one issue I reported probably 3-4 years ago that still remains an issue where if you load your prior year return and then go to import some info from a financial service the import will wipe out entries you imported from your prior year return IF you have not already updated them for the current year. I have a bunch of 1099-DIV every year and if I don't update them before doing an import the import will wipe them out.

This fee is outrageous. It’s always been a part of the program product I paid for. It amounts to a significant price increase. I file New York taxes and am required to e-file. I must therefore pay an additional fee on top of what I paid to purchase TurboTax. I’ll be looking at alternative products. 

There has always been a separate fee $20 early and $25 March 1 to efile state....EXCEPT for New York.  NY is free to efile.

Thank you. 

Very funny.  TurboTax indicated the state of Georgia charges $20 to e-file that can be deducted from my federal refund.  Once I agreed and indicated I wanted to e-file and hit submit, I was informed that there would be a $60 fee.  State of Georgia $20 and a processing fee of $40.  I called TurboTax and was told that Intuit charges $40 for stat e-filing.  Great.  My refund was $109 and I paid $60 to e-file.  I have used TurboTax was over 10 years but next year, maybe NOT!!!!  TurboTax should be programmed to check your state refund and BLAST a warning message that they are charging me over 35% to e-file and the state over 15%.  Thanks TurboTax.  Spend my $40 wisely.

You can pay the $20 state efile fee upfront with a credit card and avoid the Extra $40 Refund Processing Service charge.  And also....then your federal refund will come directly to you without going though the 3rd party bank to take the fees out.  

Very easy solution and one that will make you $60 richer. 
Prepare your GA state return using TurboTax. Copy the results to a hard copy paper form and mail it in. Very simple. 

You can print and mail state for free from the Desktop program you don't have to copy it to the paper form.   Unless you are in the Online version.  Then you have to pay the fees to print the return.  

I hear it's free to exile in NY.  It's the law.

Yes in the Desktop program it is Free to efile a NY state return.  That the only free efile state so we usually forget to mention it.  

@LarsDeBovine Correct----a NY return is the exception.  You will not be charged to e-file NY with the CD/download software.   But if you use online TT, you pay to use the software to prepare a NY return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

at no time did you mention using a 3rd party company that charges to e-file.  Last year this was not used!!!

this charge was AFTER I decided to pay for the return.  NOT BEFORE!!!!

Without my permission you gave my banking info to TPG.  I will not use you again and plan to file a complaint against you

You don't have to use the  3rd party bank.   You can pay the fees  upfront with a credit card instead of  having the fees deducted from your federal refund.  Then the IRS will send the refund directly to you without going though the TPG bank.  

There is no extra charge to efile.  The only charges are to prepare the federal and state returns.  The extra $40 Refund Processing Service charge is to have the fees deducted from a refund.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies