turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does NYS IT-203 (Nonresident) appear to double count my NYS Income? It shows Wages applicable to NYS when I have no wages. (I'm reviewing my 2018 return here.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Why does NYS IT-203 (Nonresident) appear to double count my NYS Income? It shows Wages applicable to NYS when I have no wages. (I'm reviewing my 2018 return here.)

Confirm the amount you have entered for your W-2 wages is not being coded to New York.

1. Go to the Federal section of the return
  2. Select "Income & Expenses"
  3. Select "Job (W-2)" and edit
  4. Review the entries in Boxes 14 through 18 to determine if your W-2 matches the input.  If there are no amounts in your W-2 for NY, but you see entries in these sections for NY, select the little trash can icon to the right of these sections to delete the input for NY.

New York wages

After performing the steps above, go into the state section of the program and verify your information entered in the New York state section. 

There will be questions in the interview which ask "Did you have any New York State Wages?" 

Review your answers here as well as throughout the state interview to determine if an answer needs to be adjusted accordingly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Confirm the amount you have entered for your W-2 wages is not being coded to New York.

1. Go to the Federal section of the return
  2. Select "Income & Expenses"
  3. Select "Job (W-2)" and edit
  4. Review the entries in Boxes 14 through 18 to determine if your W-2 matches the input.  If there are no amounts in your W-2 for NY, but you see entries in these sections for NY, select the little trash can icon to the right of these sections to delete the input for NY.

New York wages

After performing the steps above, go into the state section of the program and verify your information entered in the New York state section. 

There will be questions in the interview which ask "Did you have any New York State Wages?" 

Review your answers here as well as throughout the state interview to determine if an answer needs to be adjusted accordingly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. I'm sure it's something I did. However, I received no W-2 for NY. My only W-2 was for NJ and coded that way. My NY income was reported on a 1099-MISC as Nonemployee compensation (Box 7). I don't recall being asked about NY wage compensation but I suspect that's what fouled me up. Thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies