turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jhallen4

What do I do if I live and work in NJ for a company based in CT and my company accidentally marked my work location as CT so I paid CT taxes rather than NJ taxes by mistake?

I believe I should have been paying NJ withholding rather than CT withholding throughout the year but my company is telling me there is nothing they can do.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

What do I do if I live and work in NJ for a company based in CT and my company accidentally marked my work location as CT so I paid CT taxes rather than NJ taxes by mistake?

If you did not work or live in Connecticut, you do not owe any CT tax.  You will have to file a Connecticut non-resident tax return in order to get a full refund of all state taxes they withheld.  You will also file a New Jersey resident tax return.  Since you didn't have any New Jersey tax withheld, you can expect to pay a penalty for underpayment.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have a similar situation.  I am a home office based employee working and living in NJ but the company I worked for has its headquarters in CT.  The company withheld NJ taxes only.  Do I need to file a non-resident CT return?

In addition to my current company in CT, I also received severance payments from another CT-based company while living in NJ.  That company only withheld CT taxes (no NJ taxes).  How should I file those earnings if I was not working for that company any longer, however was receiving severance payments reported as income from a CT-based company?

TomD8
Level 15

@novakjl   --  Did you physically work in CT for the company that gave you severance pay?  

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Yes, when I was an active employee. 

TomD8
Level 15

CT can tax non-residents on CT-source income.

CT law is that CT-source income includes income "attributable to compensation for services performed in Connecticut or income from a business, trade, profession, or occupation carried on in Connecticut."  See page 10 of this reference:

https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DRS/Forms/2019/Income/Booklets/CT-1040NRPY-Online-Booklet_1219.pdf

Since your severance pay is attributable to work you performed in CT, it is taxable by CT.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you for the response and pointing me in the direction of the correct rule regarding this income source.  Much appreciated!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies