Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the residency requirement in south Dakota?

We are residents of SD with a winter home in AZ.  During the summer months (May to October) we travel throughout the USA in our RV.  What are the residency requirements for SD with regards to staying in another state for X number of months?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

The only requirements to become a resident of South Dakota:

1. You'll need a South Dakota address and the ability to receive mail sent to that address.

2.  You must complete PS Form 1583 to show your "permanent change of address" with USPS.

3. You must be physically present to apply for a South Dakota Driver’s License. To receive your first SD driver's license, you must stay one night in a campground, hotel, airbnb, or motel in SD and show a receipt* to the driver's license office.  To keep your SDDL, you must stay one day in SD every five years.

when I'm done with the above requirements, can I claim SD as my resident domicile for state income tax purpose? I'm a homeowner in PA and working (w2) in PA filing jointly.

TomD8
Level 15

"can I claim SD as my resident domicile for state income tax purpose?"

NO, not if your main, permanent home - your domicile in tax terms - is located in PA.  If your domicile is in PA, all your income is taxable by PA, regardless of where you earned it.  To become an SD resident for tax purposes, you would have to literally move there.

A person can have only one domicile at a time, and it does not change until they move to another state or country with the intention of making a new permanent home there, abandoning the previous domicile.

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/PIT/Documents/rev-611.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
AndyJordan49
Returning Member

South Dakota now requires that you must be full time in your RV and that you do not own or rent a home anywhere else. They make you sign a form so stating, under penalty of law. They used to have you sign a form only that South Dakota is where you intend to return to after you finish traveling, but the form they want you to sign has changed, so I would check with a lawyer or with the motor vehicle department in your SD county first.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies