Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

larryj4185
Returning Member

state tax submission in Virginia

why hasn't Turbo tax submitted my state tax return.  Checked with Virginia tax people and they are accepting returns.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

In the past, states can take 3-5 business days or longer than the IRS to process your e-filed return. However, there are many states that are attempting to mitigate the spread of Covid-19. Doing so extremely limits staff and may delay the timeframe to process your return. 

To read an official update from Virginia on their tax return processing, please see Update on Return Processing. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
larryj4185
Returning Member

Did not get an answer.  First person i tslked to advised my state taxes had been submitted to virginia.  Second person advised taxes had not been submitted because Virginia had not advised turbo to send my state tax.  Portal not open.  I know for a fact Bvirginia is accepting state returns.  I was told turbo could not submit my stste teturn until Virginia told turbo to send.  Something is wrong here.  Virginia start accepting returns 3 days ago.  Why can’t turbo subit mt state return.

I live in VA too and am having the same issue. According to turbotax, my state return was accepted on 2/14/21. When I checked the refund status on the VA state tax website by putting in my SSN, tax year, and refund amount, it told me to re-check my information and submit again. My info was accurate. What do I do?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It may have been accepted but it doesn't mean that the refund will process immediately. There is often a lag time between acceptance and issuing a refund. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It was accepted on the turbotax website, but when I go on the VA website, input my information, the site tells me I'm inputting my information wrong. That tells me they never received my state taxes. 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Sometimes the state websites take a while to update.  States frequently take much longer to process returns, especially with identity theft precautions, and it's not uncommon for them to take a while before their status lookup tools are able to locate accepted returns.

You can go by the status on TurboTax -- Check your e-file status -- eventually the state website will catch up!

You can also confirm the e-file status of both your federal and state returns by signing back into TurboTax.   Your e-file status should be the first thing you see.  For more information, please see this TurboTax Help article:  Why doesn't the government have any record of my pending return?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies