Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State tax (spouse is full time non-resident and I am part-time resident) how to file w/rental property

Situation:

We are filing a MFJ fed return.  We have a Rental Property (50%/50% ownership) in VA.  Spouse is in Florida all-year; non-resident of VA.  I was in Florida and then moved to VA in Jul.  As I was going through my mock MFS fed return to complete my VA State Return I was confused on the Rental property portion.  If I only claim 50% then I will have to complete a non-resident State return for my wife's portion, correct? Can I just claim 100% or would this be wrong?

BTW

- Our 2019 and 2020 Fed return show both of us as owners of the property

- Rental property income was zero after expenses, taxes, mortgage interest, and depreciation.

Thank you.

D

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

State tax (spouse is full time non-resident and I am part-time resident) how to file w/rental property

It depends.

Typically, you would need to file a nonresident VA return for your wife as she never lived there and resided in FL all year.  

However, since you indicate the only reason for filing in VA was for the rental property located within the state and the rental property has no income for the year, she does not have a filing requirement (assuming it is only the rental property that needs to be reported for her in VA) as she is below the filing threshold.  

Please see the following link for additional information on the filing threshold as well as the criteria for filing separately within Virginia.

Virginia Filing threshold

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

Typically, you would need to file a nonresident VA return for your wife as she never lived there and resided in FL all year.  

However, since you indicate the only reason for filing in VA was for the rental property located within the state and the rental property has no income for the year, she does not have a filing requirement (assuming it is only the rental property that needs to be reported for her in VA) as she is below the filing threshold.  

Please see the following link for additional information on the filing threshold as well as the criteria for filing separately within Virginia.

Virginia Filing threshold

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies