turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State of Wisconsin Itemized Deductions Calculation

I'm noticing that TurboTax is doubling up on the cash contributions made on my state return. Form 1040 is correct. WI Schedule 1, Line 3 is including two-times the amount of our cash contributions. How do we adjust for this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Follow-up observation - Schedule I was delayed and not available until 2/6/2020. The error appears to be flowing through Part II - Itemized Deductions (Col II) of Schedule I.

Yes, I noticed issues with Wisconsin Itemized Deduction Credit. Incorrect values in Colum B of Schedule I. Medical Expense Deduction & Gifts to Charity. On Smart Worksheet Form 1, values not transferring over from Fed Schedule A, Line 4. So all in all calculation for WI Form 1, page 4, Schedule 1-Itemized Deduction Credit is Incorrect, Etc... Hopefully Turbo Tax programmer is able to get corrected soon.

Since amounts were transferring over incorrectly from Federal & Amount determined under IRC in effect to Wisconsin in Column II. I just went in Wisconsin Form & made adjustments with correct amounts to the incorrect numbers Turbo Tax had for Medical Expense & Contributions for WI amount.  Under Wisconsin Itemized Deduction Adjustments, Make any adjustments to these federal amounts for your Wisconsin tax return. I am using Deluxe version.

Regarding Since amounts that transferred over incorrectly from Federal & Amount determined under IRC in effect to Wisconsin in Column II. I just went in Wisconsin again & made adjustments with correct amounts to the incorrect numbers Turbo Tax had for Medical Expense & Contributions for WI amount. Under Wisconsin Itemized Deduction Adjustments, it had an area with boxes to make any adjustments to these federal amounts for your Wisconsin tax return. I am using Deluxe version

But even after making these adjustments, also noticed, in Turbo Tax Deluxe for 2019 Wisconsin Taxes Form 1, page 4, itemized deduction credit was not accurate, with calculation for Medical Care Insurance Allowable for Itemized Deduction Credit. Also Smart Worksheet for this calculation is not listed to view or print as in past so can review.

One week following my initial phone conversation with TurboTax, I called again this morning because I didn't see any changes during the past week. Today's rep remotely connected into my return and agreed with my assessment. After an hour of hanging up the phone, the rep called me to explain a way to work around the issue.

You can override the calculation on a screen located in the State module under Income (not Credits - even though it is an adjustment that affects the Itemized Deduction Credit). Once I hard-coded the correct number in the field, my state return reflected how I thought it should have looked. I was able to e-file my returns today following this set of instructions.

I was using the online version for Windows - Deluxe package.

As noted in my post above, I had made that adjustment, manually, located in WI module, income section, so that column I & column II would be the same for medical expenses allowable for Fed & WI. But even after making these adjustments, also noticed, in Turbo Tax Deluxe for 2019 Wisconsin Taxes Form 1, page 4, itemized deduction credit was not accurate, with calculation for Medical Care Insurance Allowable for Itemized Deduction Credit, Line 1 not correct? Also Smart Worksheet for this calculation is not listed to view or print as in past so can review. Any other suggestions & did your Smart Worksheet print, thanks?

In my case, the manual adjustment worked within the income section of the state module. I'm afraid I didn't review the Smart Worksheet before e-filing. One can re-review worksheets by amending a return. However, TurboTax amending feature isn't available until later this month. For your situation, I recommend talking to a rep on the phone.

Wondering if anyone else was able to get their Smart Worksheet to print? Thanks. It use to be included with all worksheets & forms...

Smart Worksheet Medical Care Insur Allowable for Itemized Deduction Credit

Amount of medical care insurance (MCI) included in line 1 of federal

Schedule A. If none, skip lines 1-5 and go to line 6

Total medical expenses from line 1 of federal Schedule A

Divide the amount on line 1 by the amount on line 2. Carry the decimal

to 4 places. This is your MCI ratio 3

Fill in the amount from line 4 of federal Schedule A

Multiply line 4 by the decimal on line 3

Long-term care (LTCI) included in line 1 of federal Schedule A.

If none, skip lines 7 and 8 and go to line 9

Divide the amount on line 6 by the amount on line 2. Carry the decimal

to 4 places. This is your LTCI ratio

Multiply line 4 by the decimal amount on line 7

Add lines 5 and 8

Subtract line 9 from line 4. If zero or less, enter 0 (zero)

MCI subtracted on line 11 of Form 1. If none, skip to line 13

Subtract line 11 from line 5. If zero or less, enter 0 (zero)

LTCI subtracted on line 11 of Form 1. If none, skip to line 15

Subtract line 13 from line 8. If zero or less, enter 0 (zero)

Add lines 10, 12 and 14. This is the amount that may be used as medical

Expenses for the itemized deduction credit on line 1 of Schedule 1

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies