Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State of Maryland just passed a new relief act 2021which repeals all state and local income taxes on unemployment benefits. Does Turbotax has implemented it?

Its called The RELIEF Act of 2021 by State of Maryland Governor.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

99 Replies

State of Maryland just passed a new relief act 2021which repeals all state and local income taxes on unemployment benefits. Does Turbotax has implemented it?

They probably will if it affects the filing of 2020 MD taxes.

BUT

The state of MD tax division (Comptroller) and staff  must first set up the rules for how it will be implemented, as there are limitations on who is eligible to have the taxes exempted.....that could take a month or more...and they have to get that programmed into their own MD computers..... only then will they tell the tax software companies how it is to be implemented....then that takes another month or so to program at the software end....so my guess is June...but I'm a pessimist.....end of March if they work fast and keep it simple.

Foolishness is a legislature that makes changes to last year's taxes right in the middle of the tax season with easily thousands of MD tax returns already filed.......absolutely crazy foolish nonsense .  

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Heck...maybe they'll just reject all tax returns already Efiled...and shut down until they are ready to receive them after they get all the forms and rules modified.....I figure they'll have guidance on what to do by the end of the week.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

The worst part is they signed the act yesterday and there is no detail out yet when and how it's going to be implemented. I hope all Marylanders don't have to wait till end of March.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Here is the information about the Maryland RELIEF Act. It is based on ones 2019 tax return and no one needs to apply. It is an automatic payment.

Maryland RELIEF Act

{Edit 9:40 AM PST}

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi. Does anyone know how the relief in taxes paid on Maryland Unemployment will be worked out? Apparently we should get the taxes back that we paid in from what I understand? Is that correct?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Yes. You will get the taxes paid on your unemployment for 2020 if you file an amended return. This law was just recently passed, so I would wait until the State of Maryland advises on when to file an amended return before you do so. Also, please keep in mind that the tax free unemployment waiver only appears to apply to single filers who reported under $75,000 or joint filers who reported under $150,000. 

@Jennpritchard8

Thank you! I actually have not filed yet. Should I wait and give it time for the system on TurboTax to update and then file?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

You can wait, but it will probably be a few weeks before all the necessary updates are made - both by MD and TurboTax.

MD will have update its tax return processing software (internal rules) and publish those changes before TurboTax is able to update its MD state tax interview. 

Still, waiting until those changes are made is probably a better option than filing an amended return.

JazzJR

They are referring to the repealing of the MD State and Local Taxes on Unemployment in the 2020 year and 2021- Filling 2020 using tax preparers websites they automatically figure State Taxes as well as Federal and without an update, they will be incorrect.

Here is a link with more details to the new act 2021. I think, like many you have suggested, to wait couple of weeks to file rather than amending taxes. They should have got this signed back in Dec.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-pr-relief-act-20210215-a46rtazojnhhhbmz3j2f6qr644-story.htm...

What if you filed married filing separate and made under $75,000? 

As I’m understanding it we would just need to file an amended state return if we already filed before this major change took effect. I owed taxes to MD and assume this will take care of that so it’s kind of imperative they figure it out soon. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@gower2352  Yes, you need to file an amended return but when will be based on how you chose to pay..

If you said to draft it from you bank account, then that needs to happen before you file an amended return.

If you said you will mail it in, then you can do the amended but will have to correct the program and mark that nothing has been paid.

Once your return is accepted and the finances are settled bank paid or not paying, you can file an amended return. 

NBanks888

Hi Lena,

Thank you so much for this information. Have you seen any updates as to when we should file that amendment to get this state approved relief?

Thanks so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies