Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Filing Instructions for AZ Conflict

One line says to attach W-2s & 1099Rs to the back of the return

The next line says not to staple the return. The return is 1 sheet of paper so how do I attach 7 1099-Rs to the back of the return without covering the info on the return? Oh, I also have to include a check for payment.

Anyone from AZ have an answer on how to "attach" these 8 required items?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JosephS1
Expert Alumni

I am not from AZ and the AZ Department of Revenue is not quite clear on how individuals attach documents to their returns.  They are, however, quite clear on how businesses are to attach documents but there is little instruction for individuals.

It is usually acceptable to clip your documents to the return.  That adheres to their "no staples" rule.  However, and this is my opinion only,  if you were to "inadvertently and accidentally" staple the forms to the return since it appears you are mailing in your return, I highly doubt there will be any consequences.

A lot of taxpayers staple the documents to the returns in question and I have never heard of anyone receiving any kind of reprimand or consequence for not following the "no stapling" rule.

Arizona Department of Revenue Individual Income Tax Information

@romad 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the reply, Joseph.

Turns out the whole thing is mostly moot. I found a copy of AZ Dept. of Revenue Publication 701 that states:

"Any federal Form W-2G or federal Form 1099 series NOT reporting Arizona income tax withheld is not required to be submitted to the Arizona Department of Revenue (ADOR)."

Thus I only have one Form 1099-R that shows AZ withholding rather than 8. So I'll just use a paperclip to hold the return together.

Rather than start a new query, I'll ask it here.

OK, since AZ Publication 701 says that "Any federal Form W-2G or federal Form 1099 series NOT
reporting Arizona income tax withheld is not required to be
submitted to the Arizona Department of Revenue (ADOR)."

However, this is still not stated in the filing instructions printed with TurboTax. So where do I suggest these instructions be added?

Just to clarify, what do you mean by stating that "Where do I suggest these instructions be added?" Is this something you want Turbo Tax to add to their set of filing instructions?  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, since they currently just say:

Attach the Form(s) W-2 and 1099-R to the back of your return.

Do not staple your return.

Do not staple any documents, schedules, or payments to your return.

Mail your return and attachments to:

Arizona Department of Revenue

I would suggest something like this:

Attach the Form(s) W-2 and 1099-R (except any federal Form W-2G or federal Form 1099 series NOT reporting Arizona income tax withheld) to the back of your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies