BGrvp

Received approval confirmation my Turbo Tax Federal Tax Return Extension was approved in May (No taxes owed). How do I file my state return with taxes owed now?

Summary:

-Needed more time in May to compile some tax numbers.

-Fed Return had refund coming

-GA State Return showed taxes owed to the state

-I extended my Fed Return by May filing date, and received approval from TurboTax to extend my filing, whereby I then printed a Form 4868 with a perforated stub at the bottom. Just held onto it. 

-Now that I am ready to file both Fed & State, I am going into TurboTax and it is giving me messages that I need to file by May 17 (like I never filed an extension). Weird.

Question: How do I print confirmation that my return extension was approved to send in with my State return + paper check payment (for taxes owed)?

Thanks in advance for the help!! 

fanfare

It's almost Oct 15 and it is time to e-File before e-File closes down.

Proceed as normal.

There is nothing special you have to do, but you must e-File Federal if you want TurboTax to e-File your state return.

BGrvp

Thank you so much! 

So the Fed will know automatically that I've been approved for extension?

And, after efiling the Fed return today, will I need to include a extension approval form 4858 with my state efiled return, or will they (the State) just know that I was approved for extension in May and not charge me a late / failure to file penalty?

Thank you Thank you Thank you in advance for your help! 

fanfare

Some states (all ??) will give an automatic extension if you got a Federal extension.

Se if your state form has a check box for this situation.

In any case, there's nothing you can do about it at this point (besides check the box).