Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received approval confirmation my Turbo Tax Federal Tax Return Extension was approved in May (No taxes owed). How do I file my state return with taxes owed now?

Summary:

-Needed more time in May to compile some tax numbers.

-Fed Return had refund coming

-GA State Return showed taxes owed to the state

-I extended my Fed Return by May filing date, and received approval from TurboTax to extend my filing, whereby I then printed a Form 4868 with a perforated stub at the bottom. Just held onto it. 

-Now that I am ready to file both Fed & State, I am going into TurboTax and it is giving me messages that I need to file by May 17 (like I never filed an extension). Weird.

Question: How do I print confirmation that my return extension was approved to send in with my State return + paper check payment (for taxes owed)?

Thanks in advance for the help!! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Received approval confirmation my Turbo Tax Federal Tax Return Extension was approved in May (No taxes owed). How do I file my state return with taxes owed now?

It's almost Oct 15 and it is time to e-File before e-File closes down.

Proceed as normal.

There is nothing special you have to do, but you must e-File Federal if you want TurboTax to e-File your state return.

Thank you so much! 

So the Fed will know automatically that I've been approved for extension?

And, after efiling the Fed return today, will I need to include a extension approval form 4858 with my state efiled return, or will they (the State) just know that I was approved for extension in May and not charge me a late / failure to file penalty?

Thank you Thank you Thank you in advance for your help! 

Some states (all ??) will give an automatic extension if you got a Federal extension.

Se if your state form has a check box for this situation.

In any case, there's nothing you can do about it at this point (besides check the box).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies