turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

antntbndl

Question regarding W-4. How do I get the most of my paycheck without having a lot of taxes taken away each time, and not having to owe by tax time? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Question regarding W-4. How do I get the most of my paycheck without having a lot of taxes taken away each time, and not having to owe by tax time? Thank you!

Your W-4 form determines how much tax will be withheld from your pay. Use the Tax Withholding Estimator on the IRS web site to figure out what to put on your W-4 form. It will let you adjust your withholding to get the approximate refund amount that you want. Check it again in January. What you need for a full year at the new job might be different from what you need for the rest of this year.

Tax Withholding Estimator

View solution in original post

3 Replies

you must estimate your tax owed quite accurately to meet both of these objectives.

Then divide by your pay periods and withhold that amount from each paycheck.

OR

use the formulas in the Instructions for W-4.

Your W-4 form determines how much tax will be withheld from your pay. Use the Tax Withholding Estimator on the IRS web site to figure out what to put on your W-4 form. It will let you adjust your withholding to get the approximate refund amount that you want. Check it again in January. What you need for a full year at the new job might be different from what you need for the rest of this year.

Tax Withholding Estimator

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies