turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Payment with Extension

I made a state estimated payment with the extension.  That estimated payment is entered and showing in the Federal portion of TurboTax online, however, it is not included as taxes paid in the state return.  I cannot see on TurboTax online where to correct that on the state return so I can file.  Thank you for any help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Payment with Extension

Estimated tax and a payment with an extension are two different things. (The payment you made with the extension might have been an estimate, but "estimated tax" means the quarterly payments that you make during the year.) Make sure you entered that payment in the correct place for a payment with an extension, and double-check that you selected the correct state for the payment. Make sure you are looking at the correct line on your state tax return. Depending on the state, there could be separate lines for estimated tax payments and payment with an extension.

If you need further help, tell us what state it is.

Payment with Extension

Thank you RJS, and I appreciate the clarification.

It was a payment with the extension.  In the section "Income Taxes Paid", subsection "Payments with 2019 state extension", I have selected "Arizona" which is correct, and the value of the payment is entered properly.

TurboTax Premier Online does not allow me to look at the state form.  What I am able to see is after completing the Arizona entries there is the page "Your Arizona Bottom Line".  The balance of tax is shown.  The only payments that are shown are that of the "Arizona Tax Withholding".  The sum of Arizona Tax Withholding is correct from our W2s.  The amount paid with the federal extension was included, but the amount paid with the Arizona extension did not transfer to our state return.  I cannot file because the amounts in TurboTax are incorrect and I do not see where I can manually override this.

Hopefully this adds more information for you. 

Thank you in advance. 

Payment with Extension

IME, both IRS and AZ will (eventually) reconcile payments made and recorded with reality. To make your e-filed submission work may require compliance beyond that. Suggestion: Do what you must to get a current acceptance, and contest results later if not reality compliant. You have years to re-attack, but you can't expect AZ software to be compliant with Numerous recent changes. (How long did it take AZ to recognize other changes?)  ...

GabiU
Level 15

Payment with Extension

Thank you for sharing your experience here on the community, and thank you to the champions that have chimed in here!

@catedooley If you’re willing, we would like to ask if you could provide a Diagnostic File of your return.  This copy will be purged of all personally identifiable information. Please follow the instructions provided below to get us the information we need.

For TurboTax Online 

1.  Sign-in to your online account. ​ 
  2. Click on “Tax Tools” to the left hand side of the screen. ​ 
  3. A drop-down will appear. Click on “Share My File With Agent”. ​ 
  4. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created. Click “OK”.  The tax file will then be sanitized and sent to us. This action will generate a Token Number  
  5. Please respond directly to this message and provide the Token Number that was generated.  

TurboTax Desktop 

1. Open your return. ​ 
  2. Click “Online” and select "Send Tax File to Agent". ​ 
  3. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created. Click “OK”. The tax file will then be sanitized and sent to us. This action will generate a Token Number  
  4. Please respond directly to this message and provide the Token Number that was generated.  
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Payment with Extension

Couple ideas.  When did you enter the state extension?  When you are done updating your federal return, you need to transfer the new federal information by going back through the state tab and the state return. Nothing will change until you transfer the fed info to the state again. 

Or have you tried deleting state and re adding it?  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-delete-my-state-return-in-turbotax-on...

Payment with Extension

Hi GabiU,

Thank you for your reply.  I am using TurboTax online.  There is not an option on my screen that says "Tax Tools".

At the top of the left side is the TurboTax logo.  Under that is "Tax Home", next is "Documents".  At the bottom of the screen on the left side is "Intuit Account" and then under that is "Sign Out".

I'm using Chrome as a browser if that makes a difference.

Payment with Extension

Can you find ....Add a State?  Click on Add a State to let you back into your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies