Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gangstadt
Returning Member

PA tax return - Stock capital loss does not deduct from stock capital gains

PA tax return, I have a capital loss from stock and capital gains from mutual funds but my losses are not deducted from my capital gains?  Why? This should be the same asset class?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RaifH
Expert Alumni

Capital gains from mutual funds distributions are reported as dividends on the Pennsylvania tax return. Therefore it cannot be offset by losses on stock transactions reported as the net loss from the disposition of property. 

For more information, read about the Line 5 income in the PA instructions, pages 17-18.

I am struggling over this also - did some tax loss harvesting before year end - got the deductions in Federal return but it seems that PA won't recognize mutual fund losses against capital gains distributions (these are called dividends in PA income tax land).  

I assume this is PA's way to screw over taxpayers but just wanted to confirm my assessment is correct and i will have to not take the losses and pay the 3.07% state tax on the gross amounts.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Pennsylvania taxes “classes” of income. Losses from one class may not be used to offset gains in another class of income.

Dividends and capital gains are in a different class than net gain or loss from the sale, exchange, or disposition of property.

@JP4120

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies