Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LukeRow
Returning Member

Oklahoma non resident or part time resident issues

PLEASE HELP!

I'm so confused.

I'm a Texas resident who worked in Tulsa, Oklahoma from August to December 2020.  I'm not sure if this matters, but the company has a Kansas address listed on my W2 form.

I didn't notice this as I should have because I'm from a non income tax state, but for some reason, HR didn't deduct any Oklahoma state income tax from my pay for any month in 2020 (but is deducting it for the months I've worked in 2021).  I'm still waiting for a response from HR as to why this happened.

I made more than $1000 in OK and am trying to file my state taxes as I know I'll owe money, but BOTH TurboTax and H&R Block are telling me that I don't owe any taxes to OK for 2020.  I've altered and ran the program several times trying to list myself as both a non-resident and part-time resident....and still they say that I don't owe anything to OK.   Only when I change myself to a full-time resident (which I'm not) does it say I owe money.  H&R Block will allow me to go into the form and manually change my income over to OK as a non-resident (but not as a part time resident) and show an amount owed, but then I'm no longer allowed to e-file the return because I did a manual over-ride of their program that they don't agree with.  

I'm also given a VERY stern warning that if I turn it in this way, I would be admitting guilt of underpaying taxes to the state (??) and would have to pay multiple penalties on top of what I already owe.

TurboTax doesn't allow me to do this, but it may be because I'm using their free version (?).  

I'm just not sure what to do and feel like I'm missing something that's pretty obvious to everyone else.

I'm leaning toward just turning in TurboTax's version of the return. Every question I answered is 100% accurate and honest and can be backed up.  I have no intention of becoming an Oklahoma resident as I don't anticipate living here for a full year.  

I just don't understand why I'm not having to pay taxes on this money, and don't want to risk being fined years later for not paying.

I don't have the funds to see a "tax professional," so I'm pretty frustrated right now.

What am I missing??

Is there any possible reason why someone who worked 5 months in Ok wouldn't have to pay taxes on that income?  Does this make sense to anyone?

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LukeRow
Returning Member

Ok...this is weird.

My W2 does not list any state wages earned in box 16.

There is no employer state ID either.

Everything from box 15 on is entirely blank.

So, either HR made a mistake, or I wasn't considered to be working in OK?

Is it weird that they started taking OK deductions in January?

Agh! So confused!

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I was in the process of answering when I saw that you re-posted, and that makes sense.  You may need to allocate the amount of income that you earned in Oklahoma.  Different state interviews handle this differently, and I'm not certain there is a direct entry location in the TurboTax Oklahoma interview where you can designate how much of the W-2 income was earned in Oklahoma.  If you don't know, you can enter it into the W-2 screen.  Use the Box 15 dropdown to select Oklahoma (OK), then, if you don't have a state ID number, use the company's Federal EIN in the next box.  Then enter the amount of income you earned in Oklahoma.  This should pull the correct calculation.  You can attempt to e-file this, and you could get a state rejection (some states will accept this type of submissions and others will not).  So if you do have the return rejected by Oklahoma, you will have to mail in the state return and pay what is due.  

Hopefully, now that the company has started to withhold Oklahoma tax, you won't have the same issues next year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies