turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New FL resident working from home for MA company

Hey all

i recently moved down to FL and work from home for my company which is an MA based company.  Is there anyway to structure my payroll to avail of the FL 0% state tax?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, no.  Massachusetts is one of a handful of states that specifically taxes income earned by telecommuters as Massachusetts sourced income.  

The only exception to this is a temporary exemption in some cases for 2020 income where the employee is working from another state due solely to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks susan

i thought the workout would be to have the company register as a foreign corporation in florida and file a Corp tax return there yearly for an instate employee - me.

TomD8
Level 15

@SusanY1  --  But see Example (5)(a)(1.2) in this reference:  https://www.mass.gov/regulations/830-CMR-625a1-non-resident-income-tax#-3-income-subject-to-massachu...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Interesting - in reading that point it only talks about apportioned earning for days in MA but it 100% of my actively is completely remotely in FL in theory there would be $0 / 0% apportioned to MA.  

TomD8
Level 15

According to the reference I cited, MA does not tax non-resident remote workers who never physically work in MA.  I don't know if @SusanY1  has information that supersedes that reference.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies