Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yzplayr

MT Married Filing Separately - why is this option not available in TT?

Have used TT for many years while living full-time in MT and have always filed the MT return using the married filing separately on the same return option.  In 2019, we moved to CO in the middle of June, so we have 2 states to file.  Finished the Federal portion of the return, then moved on to MT next.  This year there was no option for me to choose the filing option for MT.  In fact, the TT MT return looks kinda stripped down with almost no supporting forms on those screens where it's asking for numbers from certain places.  I see where TT is offering some sort of service to take care of both State returns and maximize things for an additional $45 per State.  My questions are: 1) what is the actual difference between that service and just using the included free State and purchasing the 2nd State?, 2) why is there no apparent means to change the filing option for MT?  Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
yzplayr

Side note:  TT will not let me go back to the beginning of the MT return Q&A.  Is this program broken?  Please help, TT!

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends.  1) The difference between the service and purchasing the second state this year would mainly be the amount of your time and the added assurance of credentialed tax experts handling the state returns

2) Regarding the Montana filing status, start by verifying what you have in the personal info section. 

If the personal info is accurate, then I recommend re-downloading both states. 

First, update your TurboTax system:

Next, address each state download:

@yzplayr

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies