Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I receive a refund for the Toledo, Ohio city taxes I paid as a non-resident in my Michigan refund?

Thank you very much!

How do I receive a refund for the Toledo, Ohio city taxes I paid as a non-resident in my Michigan refund?

I called City of Toledo and asked and they said that is only if you are filing with Toledo. If you are owed nothing and you owe nothing to Toledo, you do not need to send a return to Toledo. When I mail in my 2020 MI return I will include one W2 with the Toledo withholdings attached to my Toledo form, just in case, and then follow the instructions on my Turbo Tax cover sheet to make sure I include anything else needed since I have not mailed in a return for MI in many years.

If you have amended a previous year to now send in the Toledo tax to Michigan, you still do not need to send in a return to Toledo. You just make sure the 1040X that prints with your amended MI return is added to the amended forms for MI, in addition to the Toledo return and I did include a W2 with the Toledo form there as well. A new Federal return will also need to be printed and sent to IRS as instructed by Turbo Tax, but it’s for records only, no money will be owed to Federal of

owed to you. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

@elynnh97 

You do not need to amend the federal return, if your only change is to add the Toledo credit to the MI return.  Amending a state return does not automatically trigger the need for an amended federal return, unless something actually changes on the federal. 

Thank you for passing on this helpful information to those of us in this situation.  It is good to know that as long as we owe nothing there is no need to file with Toledo.   Much appreciation to you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies