Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married filing separately for Federal but jointly for State (Arizona)

We're planning for married filing separately (MFS) for federal taxes, but married filing jointly (MFJ) for Arizona state taxes.

I'm confident this is allowed legally:

See TurboTax answer from 2019 , and AZ Dept. of Revenue "You may file a joint return, even if you and your spouse filed separate federal returns."

How can I do this with TurboTax download/desktop?

This TurboTax answer describes the converse situation: How do I prepare a joint federal return and separate state returns?  , and I suspect the same logic works for my case (separate federal, joint state).

It also links to this, saying a state return can't be e-filed unless there's first a corresponding federal e-file: Can I e-file my state return before my federal? 

So it seems we should make 3 "mock" returns: one MFJ, and two MFS (one per spouse), then e-file the two MFS for federal, and paper file the one MFJ for state.

Can anyone confirm if this will work, or if there's a better way?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, you have it down!  You will want to get the TurboTax download, and prepare the returns exactly as you indicated- one Married-separate federal for each of you (which you will be able to efile) then prepare a "mock" federal joint return so that you can prepare the Joint Arizona return, which you will have to mail.  Please keep in mind that Arizona is a Community Property state, so you may have to do the adjustment on the federal return.  See Married Filing Separately in community property states,

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, you have it down!  You will want to get the TurboTax download, and prepare the returns exactly as you indicated- one Married-separate federal for each of you (which you will be able to efile) then prepare a "mock" federal joint return so that you can prepare the Joint Arizona return, which you will have to mail.  Please keep in mind that Arizona is a Community Property state, so you may have to do the adjustment on the federal return.  See Married Filing Separately in community property states,

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, especially for the warning about community property adjustments!

I knew those adjustments applied for state returns (which is part of our reason for doing state as MFJ). But I didn't realize we needed to do that for federal MFS returns.

We ended up filing all 3 returns by paper / mail, due to this warning on the "Tax Withholding Adjustments" screen:

"Note: If you make any federal tax withholding adjustments you will not be able to e-file your federal return, according to IRS rules. You will need to print and mail a paper copy of your federal return".

Seems this would affect any MFS return where either spouse has W2 wages and withholding.

IRS pub 555 (mentioned in the article you linked) includes this:
"If you and your spouse file separate returns on which each of you reports half the community wages, each of you is entitled to credit for half the
income tax withheld on those wages."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies