turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MellinL

Louisiana tax return

I can't seem to figure out how to answer line 9 of La Form IT-540, "Federal Income Tax".  I can't find any question about it in the questionnaire.  When I try to work with the form itself, instead of the questionnaire, I can't fill in the line manually.  What am I doing wrong or what am I missing?  Thanks in advance for any help.  Getting frustrated easily these days....

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Louisiana tax return

Getting frustrated is easy any time you work on taxes!  Everything you that you have entered for your Federal Return in TurboTax, automatically flows through to your State of Louisiana return, unless it is a State specific adjustment.  These are addressed in the State questionnaires.  

State of Louisiana IT-540, Line 9 is your Federal Income Tax adjusted as follows: 

TurboTax will compute Line 9 for you as it is not a box that you can enter.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Louisiana tax return

Hi - line 9 on the Louisiana tax return seems to reference the federal disaster credit and also says "see Schedule H".

How would I calculate this manually to double check because the Turbo Tax amount they are deducting seems too big.

Thank you,

RF

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Louisiana tax return

Line 9 is the amount of tax on your federal return unless you used the federal disaster form 8915E and only included 1/3 of your income. Because that form is not yet released and it is not in the program, you did not do that. Line 9 should be just your federal income tax.

Did you fill in something in the federal stating you had a disaster related something?

@francislouisiana

Louisiana tax return

I'm thinking I will hire an expert to check over my state return and run a question by.  Is there any way I can directly hire either of you who responded to me?

thank you,

Eimear

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Louisiana tax return

If your federal income tax has not been decreased by a federal disaster credit, Line 9 of your IT-540 can be found on your 1040, Line 24 (page 2). 

In order to see a preview of your 2020 1040 to see this figure, please follow these instructions in TurboTax:

1. Open your return. 
  2. Click on Tax Tools.
  3. Click on Tools.
  4. Click on View Tax Summary under Other helpful links.
  5. Click on Preview my 1040.
  6. Once open, scroll down to page 2 of your 1040. Look for the amount on Line 24. 

@francislouisiana

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies