turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lions1986
Returning Member

Licve in Delaware but work in New Jersey.

I live in Delaware and work in New Jersey. Turbo Tax is asking to answer a "State Tax Add Back" for Delaware. Worksheet B "Itemized deductions Worksheet for Delaware line 5 b. "Taxes imposed and paid to other states that are included in Federal itemized deductions..."  

what is it asking here?  The total amount of income tax paid to New Jersey?  Seems like Turbo tax should be able to calculate this amount with the information provided. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

It's asking for the amount (if any) of NJ income tax that you deducted on Schedule A of your federal return.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
lions1986
Returning Member

Tom,  Thanks for the quick reply. 

Do you mean the NJ State Income tax deducted on my schedule A for federal return for 2019? 

I am limited to only the 10,000 max.  And I used the standard deduction.  But i guess what is confusing for me is turbo tax knows this information.  why is it asking me?  100% of my income was earned in New Jesey.  I had no earned income in my resident state of Delaware. 

Really appreciate your help.  I think i understand basic taxes pretty well but this one has me stumped.

TomD8
Level 15

Unfortunately I don't have the Delaware tax return on my computer, so I'm guessing.  But I think that if the program were asking for information from your previous year's return, it would specifically say so.

Also, did you complete your NJ non-resident return in full before you started your DE return?  That's the only way the DE program would "know" your NJ information.  In TurboTax, it's critical to complete your non-resident state return before you do your home state return (with a few exceptions involving California).

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
lions1986
Returning Member

Yes.  I did NJ NR tax return prior to doing DE.  DE was not ready for download from TT when I did NJ NR. When you say last years return...do you mean 2018?    I was not a resident of DE in 2018.  But i think it is referring to the current 2019 return.  

TomD8
Level 15

<<But i think it is referring to the current 2019 return.>>

That's what I would assume too.

BTW, if you moved into DE in 2019, you should be doing a part-year resident return for both DE and the state you left.

In the year of a permanent move, you're a part-year resident of each state for tax purposes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies