turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I’m a Georgia resident but I lived in Virginia for 3 months for job training, do I need to put that on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
TomK100
Expert Alumni

If I’m a Georgia resident but I lived in Virginia for 3 months for job training, do I need to put that on my taxes?

Yes.  Please see this Help article for information about living and working in multiple states and how to enter this in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

If you file as Single, you are not required to file a Virginia return unless your Virginia AGI exceeded $11,950 ($23,900 if Married Filing Joint).

If your VA AGI was less than that, you'd have to file to get a refund of any excess VA taxes withheld, but you wouldn't be required to file.

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/who-must-file

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hal_Al
Level 15

@TomD8 - I believe the VA filing requirement is based on total income, not just the VA source income.

"Nonresidents with income  from Virginia sources are subject to the same filing requirements as residents. This means that the filing threshold for a nonresident is determined by Virginia adjusted gross income (VAGI) computed as a resident, including income from all sources. The filing threshold for a nonresident cannot be based solely  on income from Virginia sources."

"You are not required to file if you don't owe any taxes and will not receive a refund. However, we periodically review and update our records to make sure that we have the correct return information on file. As a result, even if you didn't need to file a return for a given year, we may send you a letter later asking you to verify your Virginia adjusted gross income."

TomD8
Level 15

@Hal_Al  -- Thank you.  That is correct.

VAGI is the Adjusted Gross Income on your federal return plus any Virginia additions from Line 2, minus any Virginia subtractions from Line 8. Information on Virginia additions and subtractions is included in the instructions later in this booklet. If your income is only from wages, salaries and interest from a savings or checking account, your VAGI is usually the same as the federal adjusted gross income shown on your federal return. Once you have computed your VAGI, check the chart below to see if you need to file a Virginia income tax return.

From Page 4, https://www.tax.virginia.gov/sites/default/files/vatax-pdf/2019-763-instructions.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hal_Al
Level 15

@jordan_w990 - What does  "I lived in Virginia for 3 months for job training" mean? Were you paid a salary while you trained?  Did your employer pay your living expenses while you were in training?  If this was just an extended business trip, technically you are required to file a VA return, but "nobody" does. 

See http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/28/pf/taxes/business-traveler-tax-threat/  

You pay VA tax on the income you earned there and also report the income on your GA return.  But, GA gives you a credit, or partial credit, for what you pay VA.  You come out even but have the hassle (and expense) of doing a 2nd state return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies