Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I have e-filed my federal return but turbo tax will not e-fil my North Carolina state return.

I filed for federal and 2 states my federal went thru and so did my VA state but NC will not file... I got bk my federal and state from VA already... 

I have e-filed my federal return but turbo tax will not e-fil my North Carolina state return.

@queenbear6979 wrote:

I filed for federal and 2 states my federal went thru and so did my VA state but NC will not file... I got bk my federal and state from VA already... 

Some NC forms (including the main Form D-400) are not yet finalized and available for efiling.   Projected availability date is 2/24/2022, according to the availability tables:

State Forms Availability Table:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

The following won't apply to you, since you have already efiled the Federal, but it may help someone else who sees this thread. 

For those who haven't already efiled the Federal return, one can efile the Federal return now (if all your Fed forms are available) and efile the NC state return later. To do that, one would need to temporarily change the filing method for the state return and tell TurboTax that you intend to "mail" the state return. Then when the state forms are available one can switch the method back to efile.

From NC DOR website - they will not accept returns yet - 'anticipate' that to start week of Feb 28th.

Raleigh, N.C.
Feb 14, 2022

Tax law changes included in last year’s budget delayed the North Carolina Department of Revenue’s (DOR) finalization of tax forms, updates for tax systems, and approval of tax preparation software. Accurately processing 2021 tax year returns and issuing refunds in a timely manner is a priority for the NCDOR.  

Agency employees are working continuously on testing and certification requirements that are necessary in order to open the North Carolina tax season and have made significant progress. The target date to open the tax season is the week of Feb. 28. Taxpayers can expect to begin to receive refunds in early April. We continue to encourage taxpayers to file electronically. 

Specifically, in regards to certifying tax preparation software, agency employees are working diligently to approve these requests. Tax software providers are notified by NCDOR once their software is approved, thus allowing taxpayers to begin filing their tax returns. Some software products have already been approved. The list of approved tax preparation software products for businesses can be found at this link. The list of approved tax software products for individual income tax can be found at this link. Other products are being approved on a daily basis. Taxpayers should routinely check to confirm if their tax preparation software has been approved.  

The NCDOR funds public services benefiting the people of North Carolina. We administer the tax laws and collect the taxes due in an impartial, consistent, secure, and efficient manner.

the link to approved software at NC DOR shows that the Intuit Turbotax software has been approved by NC so you should be able to file your return with direct deposit of refund to your bank account even though NC is not accepting returns yet, It should just be kept in abeyance until accepted BUT ITS NOT, still red x on information tax form. THIS IS A TURBOTAX BUG NOT A NC DOR ERROR BUT THEY ARE SLOW TO ADMIT THEY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEIR SOFTWARE. Fast to take your money for a product they are not delivering

tdb90

Even when NC is changed to mail the error still pops up... What else can be done to file Fed returns?

NC STATE CAN BE FILE today updated just file the NC STATE RETURN 

efile is working for NC STATE just update then efile will WORK TODAY . JUST efile nc state taxes 

NC STATE EFILE WORKING today update turbo and file. JUST EFILE my nc state

NC STATE EFILE WORKING today just update turbo and efile. just efile my NC STATE TODAY

NC STATE TAXES can be efile today. just efile my state taxes 

Correct you can now file your NC taxes with a direct deposit of a refund , but make sure you uncheck print return and file by mail or you will get an error about electronic filing....Finally they got it right!

Cool!! Was able to file the NC state return this afternoon finally!! Give it a try, can't be the only one.

BFB1
Level 3

I have e-file my federal return and it has been accepted. I was able to e-file my North Carolina return but it has been in pending stage for more than 5 days. When will it be accepted?

BFB1
Level 3

I was able to e-file NC State Return but has been in pending stage for more than 5 days. What next?

NC is not accepting returns yet, last I saw they said mid-February.

https://www.ncdor.gov/news/press-releases/2022/01/14/late-calendar-approval-state-budget-impact-upco...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies