turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

swarnes1

I don't have a business, but Turbo tax CA state keeps asking for me to complete form 3514. the expert help is not helpful. She could not find answer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

I don't have a business, but Turbo tax CA state keeps asking for me to complete form 3514. the expert help is not helpful. She could not find answer.

CA Form 3514 is for CA Earned Income Credit.  This Turbo Tax might help explain why you're receiving it:

To qualify for the California EITC, you must meet all of the following requirements:

- Have wages subject to California withholding or have net earnings from self-employment
- Have a valid Social Security Number
- Have lived in California for more than half of the year
- Not have investment income exceeding $3,699
- Not be filing a Form 2555 or 2555-EZ
- Not be filing separately if married

Also, both your earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must be less than:

- $16,751 if you're not claiming a qualifying child
- $24,951 if you're claiming 1 or more qualifying children

I have the same problem.  I don't qualify for the California EITC.
jdafriat

I have the same problem. I don't qualify for CA EITC, but TT is making me complete a "business" in Form 3514. But I don't have one!!! And I can't delete the Form 3514, and worse yet, I can't get past that page to file.

I am having this same problem. I have completed all my entires and when I run the Review function for CA 540 I am asked to fill in business information on CA Form 3514. The only income listed is my wage income from my W-2, which far exceeds the maximum to be eligible for EITC. I have never applied for or received EITC. CA Form 3514 is not even among the forms included in my CA 540 return because I am NOT eligible to even apply for EITC. I cannot proceed beyond this point to file my returns. What am I to do now? Some response from TurboTax would be helpful.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Try deleting the Ca return and then add it back again.  See if that 3514 form still appears as a form in your California return. To see your list of forms, go to tax tools>tools>delete a form.  Check to see if the 3514 is there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have not taken that step yet, but Form 3514 is not listed in my list of forms in my CA 540 return as it is.

How do I go about deleting the CA 540 return from TurboTax Premier, as you suggest?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You can go to file menu at the top of the page and select Remove State Return.  Select 2019 California individual Tax Return and select the remove button.

I did not see "Remove State Return", but I did find Remove CA Data, which I did. Then went through dealing with CA required responses and all is well. Returns are now completed and e-filed. Thank you for your assistance.

peterlo

Where to "Remove CA data?"  Thanks.

Help

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

@Torreyethompson  can you clarify what you are needing help with?

I am having the same issue with e-filing my California Tax Returns. TurboTax is asking for me to complete from 3514 by inputting business information but I have nothing to input here. I cannot proceed to e-file without filling those fields in. I cannot completely start over either because I completed my Federal Return already.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

See below the purpose of Form 3514. If this does not apply then delete the earned income credit forms and worksheet from your return.

CA Earned Income Credit 

"You may be eligible for a California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC) up to $3,417 for tax year 2022 as a working family or individual earning up to $30,000 per year. You must claim the credit on the 2022 FTB 3514 form, California Earned Income Tax Credit."

Before deleting review your Federal return to see whether or not you received Earned Income Credit on your Federal. If you did, then this information flows to California and could be the reason you are prompted to complete Form 3514.

If you don't qualify for the EIC, use the steps below to delete the Form.

You can delete the form by following these steps:

1. Sign into your account and select your current return.
  2. Select Tax Tools on the bottom left and then Tools (see attached tax tools)
  3. Select Delete a Form (see attached image)
  4. Find Form 3514 and select delete next to it.

@ryansophiejow15 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies