Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

how to file M-4868 in MA?

I already file the Federal 4868, but I do not know whether I need to file the MA state extension and how?

I need to pay $4500 of the state tax for 2022 and already paid the State IRS tax of $5000 for 2022. No tax pay for 2021.  Would you mind helping me with where to put the $4500 and $5000?

I am confused that since I already paid the 2022 tax, need I to fill out the extension M-4868? If I need, How?

1 Total tax you expect to owe for 2021 . . . .

2 Massachusetts income tax withheld . . . .

3 2020 overpayment applied to your 2021 estimated tax (). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

4 2021 Massachusetts estimated tax payments . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

5 Credits . . . . . . . . . 

6 Total. Add lines 2 through 5. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

7 Amount due. Subtract line 6 from line 1; not less than “0”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

The full amount of tax due reported on line 7 must be paid by or before the original return due date. If there is no tax due on line 7; no further action is needed for the extension. If there is a tax due on line 7, pay online at mass.gov/masstaxconnect or use the voucher below. If at least 80% of the tax due for the taxable year is not paid by the original return due date, the extension is considered null and void, and penalties and interest for a late return and any late payments will be assessed from the original due date of the return.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

how to file M-4868 in MA?

Massachusetts automatically gives you an extension to October 16, 2023 if you don't owe or you pay 80% of your tax due by April 18, 2023. However, if you owe, make sure to print and mail Form M-4868 with your payment by April 18, 2023 to avoid penalties.

Or you may e-file your return and pay any taxes owed from TurboTax Easy Extension, or pay directly online at MassTaxConnect.  If you make a direct payment, be sure to select that it is for a tax return and not an estimated tax payment for 2023. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies