Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xt4brd

How to apply a 2023 Virginia State Refund to next year

I have the 2023 TurboTax Deluxe Desktop DIY software. Both my Federal and State are ready to file but I am unable to check the box on the Virginia tax form that would apply my 2023 state tax refund to my 2024 tax payments. I have reviewed posts from previous years and from an assortment of state returns but I have not found anything that works. Any help would be appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
xt4brd

Additional Information:

All estimated payments for 2023 both Federal and Virginia State Estimated payments were entered as required under the Federal tax data in TurboTax 2023 but I will not receive a Federal refund, only a refund for my state payments. I would like to e-file my state return and apply the refund to next year's taxes but TurboTax 2023 will not permit this. 

If I try to edit my state estimated payments in the Virginia state data TurboTax says that I cannot edit them under the state data but must go to the federal data entry. If I go there I am only permitted to request any federal refund to be applied to next year. I am not even asked if my state refund should go to next year because TurboTax declares that I won't receive a Federal refund.

I believe this is a bug in the TurboTax software. Is this something I should just ignore and cross my fingers every year some small  or large thing like this doesn't occur?

The fact that this apparently cannot be at least worked around means that I will have to pay a hefty first 2024 estimated payment to Virginia by May 1 and again in June while waiting for the state of Virginia to send me an even heftier refund check.

I would appreciate any thoughts from anyone about this matter. If I cannot manage something as simple as this in TurboTax and e-file why should I continue to purchase this product?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

To apply this year’s state refund to next year’s return in TurboTax Desktop:

1. Open TurboTax Desktop
  2. Select STATE TAXES in the banner
  3. On the Let's work on your state return screen, select Continue
  4. Select Continue on the next screen, then select Start or Continue to the right of Virginia
  5. Proceed through the state screens until you come to the A few things before we wrap up your state taxes screen
  6. Select Start to the right of Make Estimated Payments for Next Year
  7. Select Yes on the Estimated Taxes for 2024? screen
  8. Proceed through the following screens
  9. On the Choose Your Payment Option screen, select 100% of your actual 2023 tax, then Continue
  10. On the Apply Overpayment? screen, select your appropriate answer, then proceed through the following screens

To apply this year’s state refund to next year’s return in TurboTax Online:

1. Open TurboTax Online
  2. Select  Tax Home in the left pane
  3. On the  Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of the State Taxes box, then select StartContinue, or Pick up where you left off
  4. Proceed through the state screens until you come to Tour 2023 Virginia taxes are ready for us to check
  5. Select  Start or Edit to the right of Other situations
  6. On the  A few things before we wrap up your state taxes screen, select Start to the right of Make Estimated Payments for Next Year
  7. Answer  Yes on the Do You Want to Pay Colorado Estimated Taxes for 2024? Screen
  8. Proceed through the screens 
  9. On the  Choose Your Payment Option screen, select 100% of your actual 2023 tax, then Continue
  10. On the  Apply Overpayment? Screen, select your appropriate answer, then proceed through the following screens

[Edited 2/4/2024 | 12:23 pm PST] @xt4brd 

@JohnW152  The user is using the Desktop program, not the Online version.  Bu t the steps should be the same.  Go though the State tab probably one of the last screens.  Or at the end it might say you have an overpayment and do you want to apply it to next year.  

xt4brd

I decided to test a solution by doing virtually what JohnW152 has recommended and successfully applied 100% of my state tax refund to next year's taxes.

I sincerely appreciate the rapid response to my post about the problem. You have restored my faith in the product and even more the usefulness of the community postings. That's good to know for the future.

Many thanks

jayw24

1. Thanks to JohnW152 for the explanation.

2. Wow, that's really messy and not at all intuitive to fudge answers to get thru the section. I don't remember it being that bad in the past. TurboTax should improve that process.

3. I found it cleaner to go to Forms and check a box. In the list of forms, choose 760ES Wks. In the first section, check the box beside "e Equal to 100% of overpayment (no vouchers)"

4. I'm also on the desktop version.

I have the same question except for tghe 2023 federal refund.  Am using desktop TurboTax deluxe.  Thank you.

To apply part or all of your Federal refund to next year

Federal Taxes Tab or Personal (H&B version)

Other Tax Situations

Additional Tax Payments

Apply Refund to Next Year - Click the Start or Update button

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies