Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How can I tell TurboTax to stop installing a State I no longer need?

For what it's worth, I just got off the phone with Turbotax tech support, using the phone number they suggest, [phone number removed], and was told that there is no way to remove an unwanted state program, (not return, as noted above).  I was told that it will be brought forward, year to year, and there is no way to prevent this and just learn to live with it since it causes no harm.

If you want to check this out, call them up but be prepared to jump thru menu hoops like you never encountered!

@toothmaven: Thank you for your diligent effort. 

@TurboTax:  C'mon. After decades of using TurboTax, I'm really tired of TT's sloppy engineering and indifferent attitude toward its customers. I've had it and am switching to a competitor. 

so far this worked for me:

before importing last years data to this year, delete all the unwanted state forms not only for the current year but also for the previous year

@dghemmes: In regards to your advice "before importing last years data to this year, delete all the unwanted state forms not only for the current year but also for the previous year"

can you help the rest of us out by explaining exactly HOW to do what you suggested?  Is this something that you've figured out how to do before installing TT for a new year? Or something that you have been able to do after installing but before starting a return for the new year? 

My experience has been that if a state return was used during any previous year, as soon as a new version of TT is installed and started, it immediately does an update and brings down the unwanted and irrelevant state updates at that time and there seems to be no way to prevent it from doing so and no way to stop it later from continuing to act as if that state was required. So if you've been able to find a solution everyone else on this thread would be eager to hear how do it. 

Interesting. In my case I've not used the offending states for several years so there are no forms to delete as far as I am aware.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies