turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Demophlos

Geneva, OH City Tax question.

I live in an area that does not collect city tax, and work in Geneva, OH which does.  My work has not withheld any city tax at all for the year or so I have been here.  I have asked others, and they do have it withheld from day 1 without filling out any forms, but all live in Geneva, or a place that also has city tax.  I have asked HR, but they don’t know and have not been able to help.  My W2 has the company registered in another town altogether.  My checks come from a corporate office also somewhere else.  From the Geneva website, it seems I should have the tax withheld.  Obviously, I don’t want to pay something I don’t have to, but don’t want to end up owing either.  Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can complete the tax return online, here is a link to the form:

http://genevaohio.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/City-Tax-Return.pdf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Bottom line: you have to file a Geneva return and pay Geneva city tax.

If you physically work in Geneva, at your employer's facility, your employer is required to withhold the correct city tax so that you should not have to file.  But since they didn't, you do have to file.

You normally only have to file a return in the city you live in. It is not necessary to file one in the city you work in, if different. Your employer will remit withholding to the city you work in, but you do not file a return unless you're claiming a refund or your employer didn't withhold enough ( both highly unusual). The city you live in will allow a credit or partial credit for the withheld tax you paid to the work location city.

You cannot prepare a Geneva return in TurboTax. You will have to contact the city for forms. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies