Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Free" state filing

I have completed my Massachusetts tax return and now, as I attempt to e-file, I am being asked to pay $24.95.  I purchased the Premier program because there was one state free.  It appears I may have checked something incorrectly during the process but I can't seem to figure it out.  I believe the program is defaulting to Florida; a state that I don't need, or plan, to file in.  How do I get this corrected so I can file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

"Free" state filing

It depends.  If Florida is listed as a state you can delete that state and see if it will allow you to file the Massachusetts tax return.

You can delete your state return in TurboTax Online as long as you haven't paid or registered yet.

1. Sign in and open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. From the left menu, select State (if you don't see this menu, select the menu icon in the upper-left) and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen select Delete to the right of your state, then answer Yes

Here's how to clear (delete) a state return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software:

1. With your return open in TurboTax, switch to Forms mode by clicking the Forms icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
  2. From the File menu in the upper left corner, choose Remove State Return. (This won't delete your state program, just the state tax return.)
  3. Select the return you want to delete and click Remove. Answer Yes to confirm.

If you want to start a new state return, select the Step-by-Step icon in the upper right corner, and then select the State Taxes tab.

If you still have this issue after deleting Florida, please contact customer service:  Customer Service

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

"Free" state filing

It depends.  If Florida is listed as a state you can delete that state and see if it will allow you to file the Massachusetts tax return.

You can delete your state return in TurboTax Online as long as you haven't paid or registered yet.

1. Sign in and open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. From the left menu, select State (if you don't see this menu, select the menu icon in the upper-left) and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen select Delete to the right of your state, then answer Yes

Here's how to clear (delete) a state return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software:

1. With your return open in TurboTax, switch to Forms mode by clicking the Forms icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
  2. From the File menu in the upper left corner, choose Remove State Return. (This won't delete your state program, just the state tax return.)
  3. Select the return you want to delete and click Remove. Answer Yes to confirm.

If you want to start a new state return, select the Step-by-Step icon in the upper right corner, and then select the State Taxes tab.

If you still have this issue after deleting Florida, please contact customer service:  Customer Service

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

"Free" state filing

Unless you meet income limits, filing the state return is not free. TurboTax Premier includes preparation of one state for free, but there is still a charge to e-file the state. You can avoid the charge by printing your state return and mailing it in.

"Free" state filing

Thanks for the input.  I finally figured this out on my own; something I should have done before my post here.  Appreciate the input on this and I'll keep it in mind for next year.

Mars47

"Free" state filing

I paid to Efile, but  TT also never asked me how I was going to be paying the amount I owed to the state!  Will they use th same payment information for that?

Now I'm afraid that my state paperwork went without the payment! Even though the program did an update, it still showed the original due date of June 1st as deadline instead of July 15th.  Wondering if that's part of the problem

"Free" state filing

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the state cover sheet with the Turbotax logo.  If you owed tax, it will show the payment information and how/when you decided to pay.  Read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-fo...

"Free" state filing

TY so much!  Found it in my printout--option to mail it in with the printed voucher,  as well as the info for paying online.

Suggestion for TT to help direct the user where to look for this info and follow through with the payment.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies