turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing CA state tax return but amending federal return

Hello,

I have one question wrt to my tax filing. My wife already filed 2019 federal tax returns in 2020 Jan as Single mistakenly. She worked in TX so no need to file state tax returns.  I have not yet filed my tax returns and I earned my income entirely in CA state last year. Now we plan to amend the federal return as Married filing jointly amd it has to be mailed and not efiled. My question is

1. Can I still efile as Married filing jointly for CA state tax return or do I need to file amended return by mailing it to them.

2. My wife has not lived with me in CA state last year and has not paid any taxes to CA state although we were married last year. Will that be an issue while filing CA state return as Married filing jointly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

In regards to question #1, you will need to amend her tax return and then mail in the amended return showing your filing status as Married Filing Jointly.

In regards to question #2, you have the choice to file as Married Filing Jointly for California as this could result in a more favorable tax filing.

However, you do have the option to file as Married filing separately since your spouse did not earn any income within California.  You will need to determine if you want to go this route but generally filing jointly will result in a lower tax obligation.

In your input, ensure you breakout the California source income so you are only taxed on that portion of income.  You will see the input to break out this income as your proceed through the state interview section.

If you decide to file separately for California, please see the link below as to how to prepare the state return as you will be filing jointly for federal purposes.

How to File MFJ for Federal but separately for state

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your reply @JotikaT2 . I plan to file married jointly for my CA state return. Can you please confirm if I can only file amended returns for CA state through mail and not do regular state tax returns online. This seems strange to me as I and my wife didn't file for CA state tax returns yet for 2019 and there is nothing to amend. She only filed for 2019 federal tax returns.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

No.  

You will not be able to electronically file your state return as you can only e-file your state return if you have electronically filed your federal return.

Since your federal return will be amended and needs to be mailed in, you will not be considered as e-filing your federal return.

E-filing state return only

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies