Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening NOW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mick15

efiled Fed return, which Fed accepted. Later tried to efile State and it says I need to file Fed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

efiled Fed return, which Fed accepted. Later tried to efile State and it says I need to file Fed

To e-file your state return:

1. In TurboTax Online, sign in to your account.
  2. Select Tax Home in the left menu.
  3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
  4. Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right area).
  5. Select File in the left menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or select the menu icon in the top left corner).
  6. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
  7. Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
  8. On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
  9. Follow the instructions to e-file your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
debalkris
Returning Member

I have the same problem with Turbo tax deluxe CD Windows version  How do you file via the cd version.

jmsacks
Returning Member

I have the same issue with the downloaded version purchased from Amazon. What is the fix for that version?

I am having same issue with Deluxe version purchased through Costco.  Federal return accepted, but when I try to send state return, it says need to send Federal (which is no longer an option).

Francea7

The instructions furnished yesterday by LenaH did not seem to match anything in Turbotax Deluxe.  I am having same issue.  Federal return has now been accepted.  Now want to file N.C. return.  I'm in "efile my state now", then next screen won't let me go further as it says "efile requires federal return" and tells me to go back.  I don't want to efile federal return again since it has now finally been accepted.  Please help.

BTW, originally I kept getting an error that my prior year AGI apparently didn't match.  After several different attempts to fix, I tried putting in 0 as someone here suggested and it worked.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I recommend trying again.  There was an update that was made that should have rectified this error.  

Errors filing state return

Please be aware there are still updates being made for the latest changes under the American Rescue Plan that could not result in not being able to electronically file your state return.  You can sign up for updates using the link below if you encounter another message when trying to electronically file your state return.

Software updates for tax changes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, it worked when I tried again on 03/23/2021, after the program executed an update.

Mick15

Hello LenaH,

Thank you for writing.  I waited (per responses to my question) to try filing my State return again (Fed was sent, accepted, and money transferred.  I waited for updates to Turbo Tax and tried to e-file my Michigan State return again without luck.  I understand that software has glitches.  No problem, I can print and email my state return (I always owe money anyways).

But now I have a new problem.  After Turbo Tax updated and opened my return, the Fed and State amounts are now different.  The was no explanation of the updates, what changed, what return lines changed, or why.  So I have to compare original and updated returns side by side to find the changes and see if they are accurate and legit.  This is a big issue!  I have already received my Fed return and do not want to amend it (drawing more attention to myself). I have lost faith in Turbo Tax and how accurate it is.

Michael

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies