Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Detroit City Taxes

When I completed my 2020 State of Michigan return I wasn't prepared to complete my Detroit taxes. How can I complete my Detroit return using Turbotax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Detroit City Taxes

You can reopen your return to finish and print Detroit tax return.

To re-open your return after you've e-filed it:

1. Sign in TurboTax.
  2. Select Tax Home in the left menu.
  3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
  4. Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you back in).

Go over Michigan return, there will be a page where you are asked to click on your city (Detroit) so that TurboTax can generate your city income tax return.  

If you already e-filed federal and state return, print and mail in your Detroit tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Detroit City Taxes

You will be filing Form 5118, City of Detroit Resident Income Tax Return. Click the link for the Instructions for the City of Detroit Resident Return. This link is for  Form 5118so you can see what form will be filed.

To review what is entered in TurboTax:

From left menu>State>Continue>Michigan click Edit>Go Over Michigan>

Which Cities Did you Live or Work in?>Check the box for I need a Detroit City return and I file as a Detroit Part-year Resident.

There will be a series of questions you can answer if you haven't already and/or click Continue through these>

On the screen A few things before we wrap up your state taxes Click Revisit next to Michigan city tax>verify you have a check next to Detroit>Continue Detroit and Follow the Prompts

When you are ready to file, TurboTax electronically files Michigan and Detroit. 

Double-check your PDF of your returns to see that it was sent when you save your 2020 tax files. TurboTax will walk you through that process when you e-file. 

Detroit City Taxes

I have already filed my state return. It was accepted and I have received my refund. I don't see a way to submit just the Detroit portion.  Can I still use Turbotax to file my Detroit return electronically?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Detroit City Taxes

You can reopen your return to finish and print Detroit tax return.

To re-open your return after you've e-filed it:

1. Sign in TurboTax.
  2. Select Tax Home in the left menu.
  3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
  4. Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you back in).

Go over Michigan return, there will be a page where you are asked to click on your city (Detroit) so that TurboTax can generate your city income tax return.  

If you already e-filed federal and state return, print and mail in your Detroit tax return.

Detroit City Taxes

I need to file my city taxes for legal purposes.

Detroit City Taxes

@robertdent33 All online tax preparation and e-filing for 2020 is closed permanently.   If you used online software to prepare your 2020 returns then the only way to do any more tax preparation is to purchase and download the CD/desktop software to a full PC or Mac.   Or get the paper forms from your city and prepare them by hand.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900990-how-do-i-file-a-prior-year-tax-return

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Detroit City Taxes

I need to do my city taxes for legal purposes.

tmk5219

Detroit City Taxes

Also Curious about this! Is it possible to file Detroit taxes separately, using turbo tax? Being the forms for Detroit are not yet ready as of 1-29-22? Lacking Detroit's Non-Resident  forms s is stopping my federal and state e-files. 

Detroit City Taxes

It wouldn't stop you from filing your federal tax return, but it stops you from e-filing the state return. You would not be able to separately e-file Michigan and Detroit, but you can e-file the 1040 now. Then wait for the updates regarding Detroit  to file Michigan.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies