Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HS2
Level 2

Brightstart 529 Illinois - Can I claim deduction if in my daughter's name (non dependent)

This year our daughter will be filing her own taxes and although we contributed to her Brightstart account last year, we took distributions under her name which means brightstart sent the payment form under her name. She doesn't have much of an income and for other reasons, we must file her taxes separately than ours. This deduction will be a waste and we could benefit much more on our taxes. Even if we contributed (and we have records to prove it), are we not able to deduct this on our taxes (vs our daughter's)? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Brightstart 529 Illinois - Can I claim deduction if in my daughter's name (non dependent)

A gift contribution from a non-account owner is eligible for the Illinois state income tax deduction.

The person making the gift contribution may report it on their Illinois 1040 – Schedule M. You will need the Bright Start account number (which could only be provided by the Account Owner of the Bright Start account) or a copy of the cancelled check.

Please make sure that both you and your daughter does not claim the contribution.

Bright Star 529 Plan FAQs

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

A gift contribution from a non-account owner is eligible for the Illinois state income tax deduction.

The person making the gift contribution may report it on their Illinois 1040 – Schedule M. You will need the Bright Start account number (which could only be provided by the Account Owner of the Bright Start account) or a copy of the cancelled check.

Please make sure that both you and your daughter does not claim the contribution.

Bright Star 529 Plan FAQs

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

A side issue: are you sure your daughter is a non dependent. Two facts stand out: 1.  she got a 529 distribution, indicating that she is a student and 2.  "She doesn't have much of an income".

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and Other ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test.

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
  2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are excluded from the support calculation
  3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

So, it doesn't matter how much he earned. What matters is how much he spent on support. Money he put into savings does not count as support he spent on himself.

The support value of the home, provided by the parent, is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants.

The IRS has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: http://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

Furthermore, there is a rule that says IF somebody else CAN claim him as a dependent, he is not allowed to claim himself. If he has sufficient income (usually more than $12,950), he can & should still file taxes. In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.  TT will check that box on form 1040.

Even if he had less, he is allowed to file if he needs to get back income tax withholding. He cannot get back social security or Medicare tax withholding.

HS2
Level 2

This is great information however, due to personal issues we prefer not to include our child as dependent moving forward even though there may be tax benefits for doing so.

As for Brightstart, I was confusing contributions with distributions. I now realize they are two separate tax events. So, we are reporting distributions/expense (1099-Q/1099-T) on her return and contributions on ours.

Appreciate both answers.

Hal_Al
Level 15

"due to personal issues we prefer not to include our child as dependent moving forward"

It's not optionable.  If somebody else can claim her as a dependent, she is not allowed to claim herself. She indicates that somebody else can claim her as a dependent (whether actually claimed or not), by checking  that box on form 1040. 

"We are reporting distributions/expense (1099-Q/1099-T) on her return"

That too, is not optional. The 1099-Q goes on the "recipient's" (see full explanation below), which may or may not be the student.  The 1098-T may have to be entered to calculate the taxable portion of the 1099-Q, if any. But, a full time unmarried student, under age 24, even if she doesn't qualify as a dependent, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit if she supports himself by working. You cannot be supporting yourself on parental support, 529 plans or student loans & grants. It is usually best if the parent claims that credit. 

________________________________________________________________________________________

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General Discussion

It’s complicated.

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit even though it was "his" money that paid the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (on the recipient’s return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $2800

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free; 40% are taxable

40% x 2800= $1120

There is  $1120 of taxable income (on the recipient’s return)

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit. Most people come out better having the scholarship taxable before the 529 earnings. 

HS2
Level 2

Appreciate your response. I wasn't clear...

1. This year, even though she can be claimed as a dependent, she is doing her own taxes (that's what we want). She will not be a dependent on our taxes. On her taxes, she did check that no one can claim her as a dependent. The 1099-Q was under her name and so was 1099-T so she reported the relevant information on her taxes. (Net) Tuition was larger than her 1099-Q so no issues there and no tax implications/broken regulations

2. I took the credit for the contributions I made last year on my returns (IL only). My understanding is that all I need is a proof of deposit into the Brightstart account (which was from my savings account). If you're telling me that is not kosher and you're sure about that, then oops and I will do an amended return.

Thanks

Hal_Al
Level 15

It's still not clear.

You say "even though she can be claimed as a dependent, she is doing her own taxes (that's what we want). She will not be a dependent on our taxes. On her taxes, she did check that no one can claim her as a dependent.

That's wrong. If she "she can be claimed as a dependent", she must check that someone can claim her.  She can still file her own return, but she must check that box that "Someone can claim :: You as a dependent". 

It's also not clear what you are trying to gain by having her claim herself.  You may be losing the $500 "Other Dependent Credit", unless your AGI is over $400K (Married filing jointly).

It's not kosher, but so far your haven't described anything that would require an amended return. 

With the tax law change, effective 2018, most student-dependents will get the same refund whether they claim themselves or not. The personal exemption has been eliminated and the standard deduction increased. But, if they have more than $1150 of unearned income, that's not true. 

HS2
Level 2

She was in school for most of the year. I helped her financially and paid for her tuition.

She is doing her own taxes (single).

I am doing joint taxes with my wife.

I am not claiming her as a dependent (you keep focusing on deduction or gain, I am trying to do neither) nor I want to (let's just say we had a fight or whatever our personal reasons are)

The address is the same for both parties.

Are you saying that in this situation, she must check the box (someone can claim you as a dependent)? If that is the case, that doesn't make any sense to me. She is filing her taxes, as a single person. Does me paying for her college obligate her (or me) to have any bearing on how we choose to do our own taxes? I would think not but stand corrected.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Are you saying that in this situation, she must check the box (someone can claim you as a dependent)? 

A. Yes.

If she can be claimed as a dependent, but nobody is actually claiming her, she must still check that box. And that somewhat limits what tax breaks she can claim, if any. 

It would be highly unusual for a full time student, under 24,  with the same address as her parent, and the parent paying for her college not qualify as ("can be") a dependent.

Q. Does me paying for her college obligate her (or me) to have any bearing on how we choose to do our own taxes? 

A. Simple answer: Yes.  But even if she can be a dependent, you can choose not to claim her (you're not obligated to claim her, just because you are allowed to).  It's her that is obligated to check not (she can't choose not to check that box). 

See full dependent rules at: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and Other ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test.

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
  2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are excluded from the support calculation
  3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

So, it doesn't matter how much he earned. What matters is how much he spent on support. Money he put into savings does not count as support he spent on himself.

The support value of the home, provided by the parent, is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants.

The IRS has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: http://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

HS2
Level 2

Good to know. Thanks Hal!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies