Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vp24
Level 2

As NJ resident, Do I have to file PA non-resident return if no PA state tax withheld but local PA municipality tax withheld ?

I live in NJ and work in PA.  In addition to federal copy, I received W2 copies of NJ, PA, and local municipality in PA. I have attached PA copy of my W2.  My question is, I don't have any PA tax withholdings on my W2, but I do have tax withholding for local PA municipality (Bensalem). See attached picture. 

After finishing the federal and NJ state tax returns, at the last step, Turbotax is telling me that I haven't completed the PA state return yet.

Do I have to file a nonresident return for PA? Like I said I don't have any tax withholding by PA state. I already added Bensalem tax on NJ to get credit for that. If I don't have to file it, then I don't want to pay $50 extra to file PA return for no reason. 

PA return.PNG

Turbotax screenshot 

PA return question.PNG

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

As NJ resident, Do I have to file PA non-resident return if no PA state tax withheld but local PA municipality tax withheld ?

If your NJ return shows a credit for this amount, there is no point to filing a PA return.

No. A PA return is not required because you had no income other than wages earned in PA and NO PA w/h 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies