Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended Calif State Tax Was Wrong

Hi, I electronically sent in amended State tax return, which was wrong. Spoke to a State CA tax dept and looking at it, they said I owed $483, so I sent that in. He said don't send in a second amended return. I finished my 2022 CA State return and it says I'm owed $604, which in reality is $121. 604-483=121. Do I send in my CA state tax return thinking the State will just send me the $121 or how can I fix this?

- send in another 2021 CA state return or what?

Thanks in advance, Margie

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

You should pay the balance due shown on your 2022 California return.

The additional balance due you paid on your 2021 amended California return doesn't affect your balance due for 2022. Before filing the 2022 California return, check over any entries you made regarding payments to be sure you didn't enter the payment for 2021 taxes as having been made for 2022 taxes. Each year is accounted for separately. 

You don't need to file an additional 2021 amended return if California has resolved the issue. You could update the amended 2021 you filed so that it matches California's final determination, just for your own records. 

See here for information on amending a state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

You should pay the balance due shown on your 2022 California return.

The additional balance due you paid on your 2021 amended California return doesn't affect your balance due for 2022. Before filing the 2022 California return, check over any entries you made regarding payments to be sure you didn't enter the payment for 2021 taxes as having been made for 2022 taxes. Each year is accounted for separately. 

You don't need to file an additional 2021 amended return if California has resolved the issue. You could update the amended 2021 you filed so that it matches California's final determination, just for your own records. 

See here for information on amending a state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. In the meantime I also called the CA State Tax Board and explained their Dept last year said to send in $483 but don't send in a second amended return. They said file my CA State taxes as I have it showing the $604 refund, then they will determine next steps. They will either have me file an amended return to subtract the $483 or accept it and send me only the $121 due me.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies