Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

529 Rollover on Illinois

We rolled over money from a 529 to Illinois' Bright Start College Savings Program.

On the Illinois return do we have to enter an amount in the "Distributions from a 529 college savings, tuition  or ABLE programs" section?  The money was not distributed to us, just rolled over.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

529 Rollover on Illinois

No, if it was a rollover, it does not have to be reported to Illinois.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

529 Rollover on Illinois

Can an answer be be generated if the rollover goes from IL to another state 529 plan?

529 Rollover on Illinois

Yes, there may be federal income tax consequences to an outbound 529 rollover from Illinois to another state, even though 529 rollovers are generally not taxable.  This is because some states treat outbound rollovers as taxable events.  Unfortunately, Illinois is one of those states.  You may have to pay state income tax on the earnings portion of the rollover, and the state may impose a recapture of any state income tax breaks applicable to the distribution.  

The states that penalize outbound rollovers include Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Utah, Virginia, Washington DC and Wisconsin.

@gpaulltax

529 Rollover on Illinois

I rolled over a brokerage 529 into an Illinois Bright Start plan.  The amount I rolled over was more than $25,000.  Do I enter the total amount into the contribution field and is the roller tax deductible for Illinois?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

529 Rollover on Illinois

If you had taxable income invested in the plan that portion can be deducted, not earnings.   Section 529 Plans - Illinois.gov states:

In the case of a rollover, as defined under IRC Section 529(c)(3)(C)(i), in which an amount is transferred from a qualified tuition program established and maintained by another state to an Illinois qualified tuition program, only the portion of the rollover that constituted investment in the account for federal income tax purposes shall be considered a contribution for purposes of IITA Section 203(a)(2)(Y) and this Section.

529 Rollover on Illinois

Hi Amy,

Thanks for responding to my question.  I only rolled over 1/2 of what I had in the other 529 account.  I can figure out the contribution and gain amount, but is it really necessary since I only get the deduction based on the maximum of $10K per year for Illinois?

Thanks,

Ken

AmyC
Expert Alumni

529 Rollover on Illinois

@KenH4  Yes and no. No, if you know you have the base covered with no problem, go for it. If the IRS or IL decides to ask, yes, you need to be able to show that you are covered.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies