turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

loumac
Returning Member

2018 NJ GROSS INCOME TAX ADJUSTMENT

I electronically filed both my 2018 Federal & State Turbo Tax returns. I just received a 2018 NJ GROSS INCOME TAX ADJUSTMENT. According to the adjustment, the "Other Payments/Credits does NOT agree with the amount listed on my 2018 NJ Turbo Tax return. I held all of the 2017 overpayment to be credited to my 2018 return. The amount on the 2018 NJ Turbo Tax return is not the correct amount from my 2017 NJ Turbo Tax return! I believe that this amount was automatically inserted when I prepared my 2018 NJ Turbo Tax return. It was clearly an error. How did this occur? I'm now given a notice from NJ that I must pay the correct amount differential plus interest! Please inform me. Thank you for your immediate assistance.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

When info is transferred from the 2017 to the 2018 return that is done for convenience but you must still verify that all info is correct and make a correction if required. 

How this happened could happen  several ways ... you may have made changes to the file after filing last year or you transferred from the wrong tax file.  

At this time, if the state has made the correction and you agree to them then pay the balance due as directed. 

loumac
Returning Member

I DID NOT make any changes to the 2017 tax file and I certainly DID NOT transfer from the wrong tax file.

It is clearly a Turbo Tax flaw. I just wish that they would address it as their mistake and attempt to fix it. It's not hard for programmers to make mistake and for that matter to fix those mistakes. Just be honest and do the right thing.

Did you open the 2017 return and verify the amount?  How much more was it?  Was it double?  Did it transfer the amount and then you also entered it?  Or maybe they didn't apply your refund to 2018?  Was your 2017 return Accepted? 

Open 2018 and look around at the forms and worksheets.  You should be able to find where the extra amount came from.

loumac
Returning Member

Yes, the amount in 2017 is different than what's on the 2018 return. It was less than the amount on 2018. I did not enter anything, it automatically inputted the amount. Of course they applied my refund, that's why I only have to pay the difference. And yes, my 2017 return was accepted.

I looked in 2018 & the amount was different than the 2017 return & I didn't input the number.

Any other suggestions?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies