Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Preparing more than one state tax return for 2023.

Good morning.  As I have done for more than 20 years, I am preparing my federal and state (Virginia) tax returns using Turbo Tax (Premier - CD).  It has always allowed me to complete my returns and, more recently, those of my two sons.  

However, for our 2023 taxes, it appears that I can only prepare (not file) one state return.  For the other two state returns (all Virginia), Turbo Tax says that I must pay separate charges.  I did not realize this as I have already completed their federal tax returns.  For my one son, the charge ($39?) exceeds his anticipated refund.  Am I missing something?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

When using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions, there is a state e-file charge that is currently $20 for each state tax return e-filed.  You can avoid this charge by printing and mailing the state tax returns.

Thanks, but my comment/question pertained to preparing their taxes, not e-filing.  I have always mailed their state tax returns in the past since the refunds involved are pretty low (<$500).  Thanks again.    

Using the TurboTax Premier desktop edition you get one free state program download.  If you have downloaded and installed the Virginia state program, it can be used on any tax return you prepare at no charge.

After completing the federal return and then completing the state return, gone through the Review section and in the File section of the program, where are you being asked to pay for the state program?  What is the exact message you see?

Additionally, are you using the same computer that you initially installed the TurboTax software and download the state program or are you using a different computer to complete the tax returns for your sons?

Good morning, again.  I guess dementia, which does run in my family (father and grandmother), has started to set in. 

Until this AM, I honestly believe that I saw a statement along the lines that "continuing with Turbo Tax for another state return will require an additional payment".  After the exchange above, I tried it again and proceeded without any such warning.  My apologies..............

I have searched everywhere (Google and within TT) to find this same answer. How much does TT charge when you need a second or third state. The previous lady only needed the one state. I need 3 different ones unfortunately.  Trying to figure out how much it costs to add on those states and whether I just wing it with the state DOR instruction instructions and do it manually for state #2 and state #3.   

Now that I reread Tad1655’s answer it appears to be $39. So I guess I have my answer. Plus I can use the $10 credit that came with the initial purchase for extra in product purchases. Guess I’m looking at $29. And like she said I’m not worried about a state efile. I mail them too. 

@harrisbmo wrote:

I have searched everywhere (Google and within TT) to find this same answer. How much does TT charge when you need a second or third state. The previous lady only needed the one state. I need 3 different ones unfortunately.  Trying to figure out how much it costs to add on those states and whether I just wing it with the state DOR instruction instructions and do it manually for state #2 and state #3.   

It depends on what TurboTax product you are using and whether it's Online or desktop version.   In the paid Online (browser) editions, each state return is $59.    In Online TurboTax efiling of a state return is free; i.e., there is no additional state efile fee in the Online editions.

In desktop software, if it's a combo Fed & State product, the first state program is included, and each additional state program is $45.    There is a $25 fee to efile each state return (except no fee to efile NY state).

If it's desktop software with no included state (Basic or the Deluxe Federal-only version without state), any added state program is $45.

@harrisbmo wrote:

If you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions an additional state program is $45 for each different additional state tax return required.

Go to this TurboTax website and click on the blue highlighted link underneath the price 1 state downloadhttps://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

If you are using the TurboTax online editions of either Deluxe or Premium, not the Assisted or Full Service editions, the state programs are $59 per state.

Go to this TurboTax website for the online editions and click on the highlighted link State additional for paid productshttps://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

@harrisbmo wrote:

Now that I reread Tad1655’s answer it appears to be $39. So I guess I have my answer. Plus I can use the $10 credit that came with the initial purchase for extra in product purchases. Guess I’m looking at $29. And like she said I’m not worried about a state efile. I mail them too. 

The $39 price was for an early-season discounted price that is no longer applicable.   Prices go up mid-season as they did on March 1.  The current price in desktop product is $45 per additional state return.   See my full answer or the one from DoninGA above.

Rats!  I bought TT deluxe desktop in January with state for $45 at Sam’s!  Now it’s up to $55 but at least I get another 5 efiles for Fed for the extra $10 and I will do my sons on his computer anyway. 

What do you mean another 5 efiles?  You only get 5 efiles total.  

5 per license code.  5 on my license code and 5 on my son's separate license code.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies