Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LMD1957

Why am I filing state taxes for Mississippi? I did claim some gambling winnings; mostly offset by some losses

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why am I filing state taxes for Mississippi? I did claim some gambling winnings; mostly offset by some losses

Per the state of Mississippi, a nonresident who only has income from gambling in MS should not file a MS return.  Please see the screen shot below which can be found at:  http://www.dor.ms.gov/Pages/Individual-FAQs.aspx#6 

Look at  the paragraph "How do I report Gambling Winnings?".

As far as why you are filing a Mississippi return, did you indicate that you had earned money in another state?  That would trigger the state return.  If you started your state return, you can delete the return by clicking on the state taxes tab, click continue and beside the Mississippi return you have the option to delete.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Per the state of Mississippi, a nonresident who only has income from gambling in MS should not file a MS return.  Please see the screen shot below which can be found at:  http://www.dor.ms.gov/Pages/Individual-FAQs.aspx#6 

Look at  the paragraph "How do I report Gambling Winnings?".

As far as why you are filing a Mississippi return, did you indicate that you had earned money in another state?  That would trigger the state return.  If you started your state return, you can delete the return by clicking on the state taxes tab, click continue and beside the Mississippi return you have the option to delete.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies