Solved: out of state 1099-NEC

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MMAZ1971
Level 1

out of state 1099-NEC

I live in Arizona but receive payment and a 1099-NEC from a California company.  Do I pay state taxes in California and Arizona?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

out of state 1099-NEC

No, if you lived in Arizona all year, and are Self-Employed, all your income is considered to be earned in Arizona and reported on your Arizona Resident State Return. 

You don't have to file a California return because your employer is located there.

If California Taxes with withheld on your income, however, you can file a  Non-Resident State Return to get them refunded to you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

out of state 1099-NEC

No, if you lived in Arizona all year, and are Self-Employed, all your income is considered to be earned in Arizona and reported on your Arizona Resident State Return. 

You don't have to file a California return because your employer is located there.

If California Taxes with withheld on your income, however, you can file a  Non-Resident State Return to get them refunded to you. 

View solution in original post

TomD8
Level 15

out of state 1099-NEC

@MarilynG1 's answer may not necessarily be the case.  Due to a 2019 court decision (the Bindley decision), CA may now tax non-resident sole proprietors who provide services to CA-based clients, even if the sole proprietor never set foot in California.

https://www.coblentzlaw.com/california-office-of-tax-appeals-gives-precedential-authority-to-bindley...

https://www.calcpa.org/news/2019/12/19/tax-net-widens

https://www.halversontax.com/out-of-state-taxes-california/

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

C-Note
Level 1

out of state 1099-NEC

Please help me.

I'm a California resident. In addition to my W-2 job, I did contract work for a firm in New York. They sent me a 1099-NEC for $6k, no tax withheld.

1) Do I need to file a NY return in addition to my CA return? 

2) If not, what do I need to do.

Thank you

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

out of state 1099-NEC

No, since it was only 6,000 unless you are a dependent. 

If the income was earned by a business located in NY, (even when that is not your business) you would need to file a New York non-resident return if you earned more than the NY standard deduction which for a non-dependent is 8,000.

New York Source

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings