norbsjeep

OR resident, work from home in OR part time for company in New York State. NY trying to tax my OR and NY income. How do I fixed this?

KarenJ

NY tax calculation just looks like it is taxing all your income, but it is not.

Please note the way that the NY calculates nonresident or part year resident tax.   NY looks at all of your income from all sources and generates a tax on all this income. When NY is determining the actual NY state taxes owed, NY multiples the total NY taxes on all income by the percentage of NY source income over all source income.

So if your income from all sources is $10,000 but your NY source income is $8,000, NY will calculate the NY state tax on $10,000 then multiply the total state taxes generated by 80% ($8,000/$10,000). So even though you all your income is being reported on your NY state tax return, you are only being taxed on the NY source portion of your total income.

Also, if you are working remotely for a NY employer, and it is for your convenience, NY considers the income as NY source income and subject to NY tax.