dandredevito

NYS/NYC Audit: Statement that I owe additional tax for being a part-time resident (STUDENT)

Hello,

I'm a college student from Florida (where I've maintained legal residency). During the first 2 months of 2020 I had a part-time job while in class full time and I lived in my college dorm in Manhattan. When I filed my taxes I selected the "Non-Resident" option as I understood being a Florida resident and merely living in NYC while in college didn't qualify me as a NYC or NYS resident. As the income was earned in Manhattan I still paid some taxes to the city & state, but less so as I indicated I was a non-resident, however, I recently received a notice from the NYS Department of Tax noting my residency was under question. They asked me to upload paperwork proving my residency status - I explained in my message I "lived" in the city for 2 months however I was not a resident as I lived in a dorm and was still a permanent resident of Florida. I couldn't provide the documentation they requested to prove my residency in FL and I explained that since I was back home living with my Mom for the pandemic I didn't have a lease or utility bill, but I sent a copy of my FL drivers license. Shortly after that I received a letter noting that their office computed me as a part-time resident and as such I owe additional money.  I would like to "informally protest" this through their online service, but before I do I wanted to check if anyone had information to support my case, or reasoning to support their computing me as a part-time resident in which case I wouldn't waste my time protesting and just pay the tax. Anyone have experience with this/any insight?

Thanks!

TomD8

This reference details NY's rules regarding tax residency of full-time undergraduate students.  In particular, read Description of the 2009 amendment on page two:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/memos/income/m09_15i.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
fanfare

you have to "formally dispute" in writing. (or online if there is such an option)

According to the usual definition you are not a resident of NY.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you don't pay any tax on NY income.

You should prepare the return both ways, resident and non-resident.

If the tax is the same there is no point disputing.