turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gmouroux

I worked one day in New York state (NYC) yet my W2 allocates almost all of my yearly wages in Box 16 to NY state. This seems wrong. How do I correct this allocation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I worked one day in New York state (NYC) yet my W2 allocates almost all of my yearly wages in Box 16 to NY state. This seems wrong. How do I correct this allocation?

You will need to contact your employer for a corrected W-2 to show the proper amount of income allocated to NY sources.

Please note that if you have only worked one day in NYC, then you would probably not need to file an NY nonresident state income tax return (based on the first bullet point below).

According to the NY Department of Revenue -

If you are a New York State nonresident you must file Form IT-203, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return, if you meet any of the following conditions:

• You are a nonresident with New York source income and your New York adjusted gross income Federal amount column (Form IT-203, line 31) exceeds your New York standard deduction.

• You want to claim a refund of any New York State, New York City, or Yonkers income taxes withheld from your pay.

• You want to claim any of the refundable or carryover credits available. 

• You had a net operating loss for New York State personal income tax purposes for the tax year, without having a similar net operating loss for federal income tax purposes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

NYC is in NY state.
DS30

You will need to contact your employer for a corrected W-2 to show the proper amount of income allocated to NY sources.

Please note that if you have only worked one day in NYC, then you would probably not need to file an NY nonresident state income tax return (based on the first bullet point below).

According to the NY Department of Revenue -

If you are a New York State nonresident you must file Form IT-203, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return, if you meet any of the following conditions:

• You are a nonresident with New York source income and your New York adjusted gross income Federal amount column (Form IT-203, line 31) exceeds your New York standard deduction.

• You want to claim a refund of any New York State, New York City, or Yonkers income taxes withheld from your pay.

• You want to claim any of the refundable or carryover credits available. 

• You had a net operating loss for New York State personal income tax purposes for the tax year, without having a similar net operating loss for federal income tax purposes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies