turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in new hampshire do i have to submit a state return?

I have no interest or dividends to claim
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

No, if you have no interest, dividend or any other income from investments (passive income), you will not need to file a NH state income tax return. (So no NH state income tax return is required if you only have wage income.)

NH does not have a individual state income tax filing related to wage income earned in NH

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DS30

No, if you have no interest, dividend or any other income from investments (passive income), you will not need to file a NH state income tax return. (So no NH state income tax return is required if you only have wage income.)

NH does not have a individual state income tax filing related to wage income earned in NH

fijese42
Returning Member

Even if you have some interest and dividend income, the minimum interest and dividend income needed to file is $2,400 for individuals, and $4,800 for married filing jointly.  A quick look at federal Schedule B can tell you if filing the DP-10 may be necessary.  The Turbotax program will also let you know. 

While NH does not have standard personal income taxes, it does have a robust business tax system.  So non-wage LLCs and self-employed may be subject to the NH Business Enterprise Tax (BET) and/or the Business Profits Tax with sufficient business revenue and/or profits, respectively.  The more expensive Turbotax software offerings can help determine if these NH business tax forms need to filed. 

Cal259

I’m a little confused on the interest. Is it any interest accrued through any financial institution? For example, interest through a credit union? What if your credit union is based in another state like DCU?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, it would include interest from a credit union - - it is allocated to your resident state, New Hampshire.   Where the credit union is based does not matter.  

New Hampshire does not tax individuals' earned income, so you are not required to file an individual New Hampshire tax return. The state only taxes interest and dividends at 5% on residents and fiduciaries whose gross interest and dividends income, from all sources, exceeds $2,400 annually ($4,800 for joint filers).   @Cal259 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cal259

Thank you. I went through the process but it is pulling in an amount from my credit union that is less than $2,400 and saying I owe the state $10.  How is that possible?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Are you saying that line 12 is less than 2,400 and that line 16a is $10?

Cal259

Line 12 and 16a of what? I started the NH tax return, it asked me a few questions and saying I owe $10 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

All interest and dividends. You mention bank interest above but no mention of dividends. If you received a 1099-DIV, that would also be included. When you look at your form DP 10, line 5 must meet the income requirements, line 6 subtracts $2400 single, $4800 married,  line 7 shows if income is taxable and then you will owe tax.

@Cal259

Cal259

Are dividends and interest from individual brokerage accounts at Fidelity taxable in NH? 

Cal259

It’s also asking me to fill in “Line 4 - Payer ID”. What is that and how would I know?? Turbo tax does not make this easy and it is incredibly confusing. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Line 4 on what? The Payer ID is generally the TIN number of the Payer supplies on a form like the 1099-DIV.

"Are dividends and interest from individual brokerage accounts at Fidelity taxable in NH?" - normally, yes.

TurboTax is a DYI product - do it yourself. It assumes that you know something about taxation. This is why TurboTax provides various services like TurboTax Live where you call for help or even have a tax professional do your return for you. Go to TurboTax.com and click on "Expert does your taxes" and "Do it Yourself" (which will give you some options).

If you have specific questions, you can ask them here for free, but please include plenty of detail because we in the Community cannot see your private tax data.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies