Solved: New York IT-2104-E Exception from Withholding Stat...

asanderson

New York IT-2104-E Exception from Withholding Status

I filled out Form IT-2104-E, Certificate of Exception from Withholding, because I am a full time student in New York. As I was filling out my state tax form, it was estimated that I owe the state a large sum of money. Since I filled out IT-2104-E, do I have to file a state tax return? If I do, is there a way to put this form into TurboTax or will I have to pay the state back taxes since I did not have any state taxes withheld?

TomD8

I suspect you did not meet all of the qualifications to file Form IT-2104-E.  See this: 

https://tax.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/717/~/i-am-a-student.-am-i-exempt-from-having-my-em...

Although you are a student, if you had income from working in New York, that income is subject to NY taxation, and you DO have to file a NY tax return.  Any tax balance due will be your responsibility.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

TomD8