turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife works for the state of kentucky. does she need to file something differant

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

My wife works for the state of kentucky. does she need to file something differant

You will file two returns.  Kentucky and Indiana are reciprocal states which means that her employer in Kentucky is only supposed to take out Indiana and not Kentucky state tax.  (They are allowed to take out KY local tax but there is a treatment for this also, which I will share at the end.)  You therefore will need to file a KY nonresident reciprocal return so that she may get back all of the state tax that she paid to Kentucky.  (However, you do pay IN state tax on that income).

In addition, she will want to fill out the correct form with her employer so that they do not take out KY state tax.  Here is an FAQ with that information:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4776822

For her KY local taxes, Indiana will provide a credit for that on the Indiana state return.  I am including screenshots of what to look for in the Credits and Deductions section of the return.  By filling in this information, your Indiana state tax will be lowered even further.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I'd like to be able to assist but would need a little more detail.  Do you live in KY or another state?  Are they taking out KY tax on her income or is it to your home state?

No, we do not live in KY. We live in Indiana. Yes they are taking KY taxes but not Indiana.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You will file two returns.  Kentucky and Indiana are reciprocal states which means that her employer in Kentucky is only supposed to take out Indiana and not Kentucky state tax.  (They are allowed to take out KY local tax but there is a treatment for this also, which I will share at the end.)  You therefore will need to file a KY nonresident reciprocal return so that she may get back all of the state tax that she paid to Kentucky.  (However, you do pay IN state tax on that income).

In addition, she will want to fill out the correct form with her employer so that they do not take out KY state tax.  Here is an FAQ with that information:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4776822

For her KY local taxes, Indiana will provide a credit for that on the Indiana state return.  I am including screenshots of what to look for in the Credits and Deductions section of the return.  By filling in this information, your Indiana state tax will be lowered even further.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies