Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lkesten

My son who was a NYS resident when his company request he temp works in DC from 4/16 -12/16. Can he deduct the rent 4 his apt in DC during that time?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My son who was a NYS resident when his company request he temp works in DC from 4/16 -12/16. Can he deduct the rent 4 his apt in DC during that time?

Unfortunately, since his assignment lasts more than 12 months, it is not considered temporary for him to claim those expenses.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Are they reimbursing him, or giving him a stipend for this? Is he a W-2 employee, or an independent contractor? Does he plan to return to NYS at the completion of this assignment?

lkesten

not reimbursing him. he pays out of pocket. He will be coming back to New York shortly when his assignment is completed sometime the end of 2017 or in 2018...thanks

Unfortunately, since his assignment lasts more than 12 months, it is not considered temporary for him to claim those expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies