tamara6206

My husband is a first year NM resident (lived over 6 months) - I am an ID resident, he is also part time res in ID - how do I handle his ID income on NM return?

Husband is considered a full time resident in NM, PITB says we have to claim all of his income.  But also filing in ID as a part time resident and this income taxed in ID also.  Do we adjust NM income altho form says we can't due to his res status or take a credit or taxes paid to other states?

gb115407

Make sure you prepare the non-resident return BEFORE the resident return, so the non-resident income and taxes, if any, mitigate the resident state tax liability.

tamara6206

There is no separate non resident return to prepare for either of us.  He is full time in NM (first year) and part time in ID.  The NM forms are not clear.
Zbucklyo

See answer below
Zbucklyo

For tax purposes, he should be filing a part-year resident NM return, not a resident return.

tamara6206

NM doesn't allow this once you pass the 6 month threshold.
tamara6206

They call him a first year and require all income on form PIT - B which is written terribly - ps I have been a tax auditor! what a joke!