Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smmead200

My fed tax withheld is lower than my soc sec withheld. I’ve never seen this before. Could there be an error

Box 1 is 6274 box 2 is 285 and box 4 is 389 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My fed tax withheld is lower than my soc sec withheld. I’ve never seen this before. Could there be an error

It means that your federal tax was withheld at a rate lower that 6.2% (which is what Social Security is withheld at).

Your federal tax was withheld at a rate of 4.54%.

It probably isn't an error:  depending on how frequently you were paid and how big your paychecks were, the withholding was probably calculated correctly.

Employers use Circular E to figure out how much to take out of each check for federal based on your filing status, which is why you filled out a W-4.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It means that your federal tax was withheld at a rate lower that 6.2% (which is what Social Security is withheld at).

Your federal tax was withheld at a rate of 4.54%.

It probably isn't an error:  depending on how frequently you were paid and how big your paychecks were, the withholding was probably calculated correctly.

Employers use Circular E to figure out how much to take out of each check for federal based on your filing status, which is why you filled out a W-4.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies